Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #65  
The dark silhouette of the men dragging bodies behind them where imposing as they passed the hiding spot Taka and Aren where in. The men were big and rugged, machetes at their hips in place of guns as their bigger muscles were better suited to use the melee weapon. The heavy rain dampened their ears to the shuffling of living feet in the alley shadows.

“Can’t believe how many boy’s the boss is go’in through….the pile down in the tunnels is getting harder to stomach…. At least most of them don’t grow mold….” one of the men complained as he hauled the body he was dragging a bit more. His companions just grunted in agreement, the bodies were down in the tunnels were the Growth and runner’s went too when they weren't wandering looking for fresh victims… there was a man hole they used to drop the bodies down into the once empty room, it was locked from the inside after they had found it, with a hard lock that would take to long to pick from the outside… if you didn’t want to get eaten that was.

The man that was lagging behind a bit was panting, still new to carrying heavy things like a DEAD BODY. he paused in front of a alley to catch his breath, moving to look down the thing out of curiosity he could have sworn he saw a shadow of movement… picking up the body again he moved quicker to meet up with the other men.

It seemed they were heading in a similar direction close to the hospital, though it was harder to tell with how dark the rain made everything… this could be bad for the ones trying to find medicine.
------------------
Tristan was still huddled in his ratty blanket against the couch, he wanted to climb up and snuggle his brother… but there was no room and the small blond didn’t want to aggravate the would, he did still come out of his little blanket cocoon to change the cool clothes once they got warm from Ian’s head.

He wasn’t able to wake his brother for a meal of warm soup, so with some grunting effort Tristan managed to get his brother in a supported seated position, and did something he had seen his brother do before at the old camp they had lived in before that place had gone to sit. He gently pour a small amount of soup into his brother mouth, head tilted back slightly and rubbed his brothers through, relaxing a bit when he felt the reflexive swallow motion that brought the soup down to his brother stomach.

Ian had done this for their mother the last few weeks of her life… before the camp had gone to hell...back then Ian and Tristan's had one picture of their mother before the outbreak… and she had looked so different on her deathbed… skin and bones from a sickness that even before the outbreak there had been little to no cure for it.

Before she had been a plump, more round women, and Ian’s dad had been a tall muscular man in army fatigues in the picture. Ian had been a scrawny thing with big hair and freckles across his smiling face. It had been the brightest smile Tristan ever remembered seeing on his brother.

Now it was just smiles of sad acceptance…

The little blond flinched again when he heard those heavy boots outside in the hall.

“Where the fuck is that ginger rat! The place was empty! Like he just chose to spend the day somewhere else…. But where the heck is that!” the more greasy voice was clearly angry.

“Shut up, we’re supposed to lay low…. Let’s go… we’ll try again tomorrow.” The other voice said, neither seemed to think that the walls were thin enough for a muffled version of their words to get through… but Tristan heard those words and his hands holding the book Aren had given him was shaking with fear.
Old Posted 07-20-2018, 12:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Taka's hand was pressed firmly against Aren's mouth as two pairs of wide-brown eyes stared out from the shadows at the imposing sight of body-shaped bags being dragged. They could hear tarp against overgrown pavement over the din of the rain and neither breathed until they were past and at a safe distance. Taka, of course, recognized the men. They were men that she'd gone out of the city with before, men that she'd laughed with and cracked jokes with, men that dumped her as quickly as Maverick had when she voiced her dissent. Those bodies likely were her friends, her family. She resented them now – but was in no position to do anything about it now. If they were seen, they'd be outmanned and outgunned, and she wasn't entirely confident in Aren's ability to shoot a gun. She never was with anyone else unless she saw them shoot it first hand. No, it was best to stay safely tucked away in the comfort of darkness, watching from a blanket of shadow.

When they were out of earshot, the hand that was pressed to Aren's lips curled into a fist and crashed into the wall behind them, “Son of a bitch!” Aren jumped up, looking after them.

“They're going the same way we are...”

“That's fucking right they fucking are,” Taka growled, “It's gonna take longer now. We have to take a detour, and with Maverick's last move, there's gonna be more on patrol. We have to take the long route. Aren, do you know what the safehouse looks like?”

“Sure, I been there once before,” Aren said nodding.

“Great, because we're getting close, and I can't read,” Taka murmured, leaving the shelter of the overhang and expecting Aren to follow suit. They didn't get a chance to dry off, but if they had it would have been in vain as the rain didn't stop. It continued all the way until they got to the safehouse and Aren pulled out his walky talky.

“Tristan, Tristan, you there?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-21-2018, 09:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #67  
Tristan almost jumped out of his skin when his walkie talkie crackled to life, his small pale hands fumbling with the device before he answered. “Aren? Yeah…. Some scary men were searching the building for Ian….they didn’t knock on any of the apartment doors…….Ian’s fever is making it hard for him to eat….” The little boy’s voice was shaking as he pressed himself back against the bottom of the couch where Ian lay.

Ian had managed a little more soup before passing out, his brother having been able to wake him successful the second time he tried to feed his brother. Green eyes had been glassy and that scared Tristan, even if he was friends with Aren now he knew that if Ian died that he, Tristan, would be hauled off to the military school...a place that the young boy didn't want to end up.

“It sounded like they’d be back tomorrow…. I’m scared to go back to the apartment Ian and I live in now…” the young boy’s voice was shaking still. The weather outside not helping his mood at all.
---------------------
The safe house was the same as Ian and Aren had left it, just a few things wet in the front end of the space form the broken and open windows, the back room still tidy and more put together then the outside area.

It seemed that the safe house trashed appearance on the outside really helped to keep people away from the back room where all the ‘goods’ where, including some canned food that Ian had left here last time. Maverick's goonies haven't even gone into the safe house, passing by it a few streets over to their dumping ground.

The heavy rain slowed everything down, the rumbling of thunder didn’t help either. Though some saw it as a reprieve from the hot weather of the summer months.
Old Posted 07-31-2018, 03:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
[[Okay, okay, I know, fucking finally, right? Those are my thoughts anyway. I've been a mess recently, but I actually have one up! I am so sorry about how long it took, I'm just grateful that I had the foresight to message that it might be a while. I'm hoping to be getting my shit together relatively shortly, as rp will now be the intersecting moments of joy between chapters or pages written for class.]]

The safe room, as expected by the holes he'd noted in the ceiling during the last visit, was damp. The front half of the room would best be described by the word “moist,” complete with all of the unpleasant connotations that the word evoked. Taka and Aren were huddled around the walkie talkie on the dryer side of the room, not bothering to dry themselves off. Their stay in the safe room would ideally be brief – they had little time to waste if their friend was going to make it more than a couple of days. The response came as quickly as anticipated, though the news was less than savory. “Men?” Taka asked over Aren's shoulder, “They Mav's men?”

Aren nodded glumly, “Ian told me about their history. After running into one of them on our last trip out, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mav was after him again, though I don't see why he doesn't just let the past just die.”

“Maverick is not the type,” Taka huffed, “He'll destroy everything you love first, then go for you. He'd make it hurt if he has any say in it, too. In fact, I'm surprised he's not going after you first, unless he doesn't know about you yet.”

Aren's hands were trembling, though he wasn't certain if it was news of the fever and the men or if it was the rainwater soaking his clothes and clinging to his skin that was the culprit. “He wouldn't go after me. Ian and I have known each other all of about two or three days. We ain't been friends for too long. He don't know about me yet. But he might know about you. Do you know if he has access to the records of who is living where?”

Taka pursed her lips in thought, letting her eyes drift to one of the leaks on the other end of the room, “Hard to say. But he might leave me alone after killing off all of my loved ones. He's sick like that.”

The young man shook his head, breathing in deep through his nostrils before exhaling into a tentative sigh, “Alright, Tristan? Listen to me, okay? Don't leave our apartment. Stay there. Do not open the door for fucking anyone, 'aight? Fucking anyone except Taka or myself. Do Mav's men know what you look like? Also, I know this is a stretch, but if you can move Ian to the closet – used to be a walk in – might be able to make a bed in there in case they manage to break in. If you get a knock do not say anything. Taka and I are gonna try to get this medicine tonight, even if we have to go around them. The rain sucks, but it makes for decent cover. Stay safe. That's an order, got it? We'll keep you updated when we can, okay?

With that, he clicked off the walkie talkie, his eyes going to Taka who now bore the thousand yard stare familiar to anyone who knew that they might now be in serious trouble. He prayed that it was nothing to worry about. At least, not yet.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 08-27-2018, 04:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #69  
“They said something about a boss… that’s what Ian used to call his old partner when he was working….and they called my brother a ginger rat….They broke into our apartment and are pissed that they found it empty.” The young blond said hugging his knees to his chest as he spoke. “I don’t know much about Ian’s old partner… he won’t tell me more then the man is a bastard….and not to be trusted no matter how sweet his smile may seam.” Tristan added after a moment as he pushed blond curls out of his face.

“Mavrik knows what i look like… i met him a couple of times when he and Ian were together… I don’t remember what he looks like though.” the young boy said after a moment or two.

“I’m not good with orders… but I’ll stay quite…s’what i’m good at any way.” there was a small smile in the boy’s voice at that. Tristan let out a breath that he’d been holding as he had spoken to Taka and Aren, Ian wasn’t doing to good, by the pinched expressions his older brother had Tristan could tell he was having a nightmare…

The small blond boy didn’t think he’d be able to wake Ian at this point...and he faintly remember that Ian had told him once that it was better to sleep through a sickness. When Tristan had gotten his first spore fever just before they’d made it to this city Tristan only remembered sleeping a lot and being very hot… so hot that he’d striped himself down once, only to have Ian dress him again and wrap him in a ratty blanket before huddling behind him.
--------------------
Deep in the hospital a sleeping giant groaned, a bloater lumberd down the halls in the deepest parts of the hospital, the rain outside not a bother to the beast that was once human. After the first 6 years of infection giant tumors filled with a wet spore filled substance grew from the body, the eyes covered with fungal growth just like the Growth that where more deadly than freshly turned humans.

It rumbled with a dead voice, as if knowing it’s space would be intruded on, by more than just one human… it would feast soon.
--------------------
Ian was in his worst nightmare… the city had been invaded by the infected… and Mavrik had found him…. And Tristan… the sick man was torturing the young blond boy while dream Ian was bound, unable to do anything as Mavrik than just a infected human attack the small blond boy.

Lifeless blue eyes stared up at Ian before the body began to twitch. ‘No!NO!’ Ian was shouting in his nightmare.

In the real work he was panting and shaking with fever even as Tristan kept up with the cool clothes on his forehead, using the old ones to mop up the sweat that was pouring off Ian. “Please hold on Ian…. please.” Tristan pleaded to the closed eyelids of his brother.
--------------
Back out in the city Marv’s men were finished dumping the bodies and had chosen to take the route back that was closer to the hospital, the boss had said to check the long route back for anything, when one of their usual crew had asked what exactly he’d gotten a bullet to the hand for his trouble.

No one questioned the Boss… not even on small things…

“Keller said he caught a glimpse of a big one in there… suicide to even think about salvage in there… boss shot him point blank… still trying to find someone to head a team in there…” One of the group said cracking his knuckles.
Old Posted 09-03-2018, 12:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Aren shook his head. Tristan was sure and he had no reason to doubt the boy. The situation turned more dire, and he knew that he and Taka had to return that night or Ian would pass away. “Well,” Aren said after a moment, gulping, “They'll find it empty when they check again too. Unless they get permission from the city to raid people's apartments to go looking for you they won't find you. They don't know yet about your connection to me, and breaking into each and every apartment is bound to draw some sort of attention. The clout he has in the first ward hasn't yet reached ours.”

Taka knew immediately what he meant by that. Ian was gay. That, at least, she could identify in Aren as well. So she wasn't simply imagining things, which was comforting – and it would also explain why she recognized the sick bloke. She'd seen him with Maverick before, long ago. “Well these orders can save your life, Tristan,” she added, voice stern but kind. The orders weren't to constrain him, they were meant to keep not one, but two lives going. “We have to get going now, and hopefully we'll be seeing you later tonight. If we can, we'll radio in. We don't know what kinds of shit we'll run into at the hospital, but we've some of Mav's men patrolling. None yet from the city, but they aren't the ones I'm afraid of. We'll see you soon.”

With that, Taka clicked off the walkie talkie ignoring the glare that Aren gave her with the abrupt farewell, waving it off with a simple, “We have to get moving or Ian will die. We don't have time for emotions. You can give Ian a kiss when he's feeling better with the medicine. You could have stayed behind, but I can't read. Your job is equally as important. Now. Let's make like a tree and get the fuck out of here.”

Aren bowed his head. She was right; he knew that, but he didn't want to admit it so he simply muttered, “That's not how the adage goes...” under his breath.

If Taka heard, she gave no indication of it.

>>>>

Outside, the rain still hadn't let up. If anything, and if it was possible, it was raining harder now. Taka found herself glad she pushed them out before they had a chance to even dry a little bit because that comfort would have been stripped away from them a second time. Any hint of voices and the pair were forced to take detours. But eventually they found it – a once white towering, massive building.

They went inside.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #71  
“They didn’t seem to no much other than Ian and me we're in this building.” Tristan said “I know they can… still doesn't mean i like em usually.” the small blond had a small smile in his words, it was clear that he would stay right where he and his brother were. “Stay safe.” the small blond sent over the walkie talkie before the apartment was silent again, only the horse sounds of his brother’s restless sleep echoed softly in the apartment.

----------------

There were dead runner bodies around the entrances , on the inside, so of course masks where needed as the deeper they got into the hospital more spores weakly dotted the air, hammered down by the rain. There were some grooves in the floor, like something had been moved over the same spot many times over the years.

On a long unbroken hallways was a massive map of the hospital, some of it overgrown with vines and plant life, but still legible, rooms on the map where sparsely labeled, just big sections where properly labeled, the medicine storage was in the basement, the entrance of which was closer to the heart of the hospital.

As they would head towards the door they were looking for, Taka and Aren would hear the smashing of glass as someone broke a window from the outside before more voices, angry and shouting voices echoed down the halls.

Mav’s men had chosen to come to the hospital after all to escape the rain.

Deeper in the hospital, close to the basement entrance, the giant Bloater lumberd around it’s domain, Growth’s clicked around it, giving it a wide berth, yet still hunting on their own, only around three of them left after the rest had run after the last group to try and take the hospital, they could faintly hear the footsteps of many…

A chance to either kill or spread the spore. To grow.

Shit was about to hit the fan for both Taka and Aren, as well as the group of Maverick's disposal men
Last edited by PurpleBox; 11-10-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old Posted 09-21-2018, 01:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
The pair hardly spoke as they stepped into the shelter of one of the side entrances to the hospital. Had either of them been completely aware of the culture prior to the Reckoning, they would have recognized it as the entrance that ambulances pulled into, patients on flatbeds would have wheeled in through this door, some alive, some already dead. One of the ambulances still sat somewhat close to the entrance rotting from the inside out. Both, before entering, donned their masks. They had no way of knowing what was in there besides themselves and neither had a wish to get infected. Taka removed her jacket and wound it up, squeezing. A torrent of water came from the fabric and Aren repeated the process. The sound of water hitting the floor joined the rest of the rain outside and, for the time being, the pair was safe.

The cloud cover outside ensured no light spilled through the windowed doors they just entered and Aren flicked on his flashlight. “See that?” he asked, pointing to the small dots falling into vision in the light's beam, “Spores. Well, there's dust too, but those are definitely spores. It's a damn good thing we put on our masks.” Taka nodded her agreement and narrowed her eyes as if looking at something.

“Hey, Aren, shine the light over here a sec,” she said, crouching. Aren did as he was told, looking at the grooves Taka now squat over.

“...What is it?”

“Can be a couple things, but either way, we're not alone. Either we'll be dealing with Maverick's men as this could be where bodies or loot have been stowed away orrr we've got something big that likes to take its victims into the dark places. We could be headin' right for the den of a big infected fucker,” Taka shook her head, sighing. This wasn't going to be easy, but if they could be silent enough going deeper, they might just be able to pull it off.

Aren was silent for a moment until he finally just said, “Oh...” letting the silence fall between them once more. A couple of minutes went by where Taka sat examining the grooves before he cleared his throat to ask, “If...if it was Mav's men, wouldn't you, ah, wouldn't you fuckin' know? I mean, you were one of Mav's “men” too at one point, right?”

“He had us doing different things. Sectioned us off into groups to perform separate tasks, just like an assigned job that we'd do over and over again. This sector was assigned to a different group. All classified. We couldn't talk about our shit with other groups. That was part of the reason he wanted our group dead. We started asking questions. Questions he didn't like.” Taka's voice was matter-of-fact, void of emotion. Like she wasn't the one who lived through those memories under that man though up until a day ago, she'd been carrying out his orders.

Then noises came from the inside. A tinkling of glass breaking. The clattering of boots hitting rotting tile. If they knew they weren't alone before, that knowledge was cemented now. “The light!” Taka hissed, “Turn it off!”

Aren did as he was told immediately.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-30-2018, 07:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #73  
In the dark once the flashlight had been turned off they would be able to make out vague silhouettes, big men that could do a lot of damage on their own. The slightly muffled voices that echoes gave the impression that the men were also wearing masks.

“Boss wants the last of what’s left, pills, the liquid stuff you need the needles for...the cloth they use for wraps….all of it, fan out…. but don’t go to far…. Josh scouted here…. got bit by a big mother fucker, ever cutting off the rotting leg didn’t help. Bang.” One muffled voice echoed down the halls.

A few of the men nodded but one just crossed his arms. “Josh could have been lying about what one of the infected fuckers bit him, always spinning a yarn that one.” This man walked off in a direction, like the others, but he would go deeper into the hospital. He passed the hall that Taka and Aren where in, he stopped, turned his own flashlight on, a crappy shoulder one that was orange, faded with time.

The light bounced off the walls, he noticed the groves carved into the floor and hummed to himself, he however did not notice one of the derelict doors shutting just on the other side of those groves.

Ducking into empty rooms as one hears approaching footsteps can be risky, this time it paid off for the duo hunting for medicine to save a certain ginger man.
----------------
Tristan didn’t know if what his brother had was infectious...he continued to change the wet cloths for his brothers fever, and between that he was pressing himself up against Ian’s slim chest, gaining comfort from the heated body. For a moment Tristan was reliving a faded memory of clinging to this same chest, it had just been smaller, during a bitter winter. Before they had come to this city, they had been on their own after the small town their mother had died in had fallen, Ian had only told Tristan that the people didn’t get along, had different ideas about how to do things…

Now Tristan wonders if the city was headed down the same path. He may be young but he overheard many of the citizens talking about how they didn’t like the military and how they dealt with things...and he remembered how people in their old district had started to follow his brother’s old partner… well the abled body ones any way.

Underneath him Ian began to groan and pant in pain, this had Tristan begin to hum a old song, one that their mother had sung to Ian and Tristan to help them sleep, and Ian had continued to do so for Tristan after their mother had died.

Mavrik’s men had left the building, thankfully, yet they were still close by, waiting in the next building over that doubled as a motel of sorts for people ‘visiting’ from other districts of the city. They knew that if they returned without something to hand over to Mavrik they’d be shot dead...no questions… though the shorter man still wondered just why their Boss was so obsessed with the ginger twat.

Sure the freckled fuck had been one of the best smugglers of the gang, up there is power next to the boss, he’d made sure everyone got a cut, even if it meant giving up his own...he’d been weak, caring about others like that….and then there was his rarely seen little brat brother….no one really knew what he looked like… only Mavrik did and all he ever described the brat as was, ‘pale and clingy’. The pair had heard stories about how the Ginger Twat would leave the boss in the middle of something steamy if his walkie talkie went off and his brother wanted him home for whatever reason.

To these men, and Maverik, as well as most of the gang, this was a weakness.
--------------------
There were five men in total that had broken into the hospital along side Aren and Taka, they were surprisingly easy to sneak around, it didn’t take long for the pair to find the map of the hospital painted in fading paint on the wall, the medicine that Ian would need would be stored in a lower room, in the den of the beast, one that they’d heard take out one of these men already when he’d barely walked into its territory and tried to fight it.

The big infected roar was definating, it made any nearby glass shake with the force of it, as it moved small puffs of spores escaped its mouth, and small growths of fungal pods on its hulking back. This thing would be a deadly fight… if only they could burn it out….with the rain outside, and falling into the hospital from caved in roofs and the like, it would be a hard fight. Thankfully it seemed that the beast of focused on the group of men, stalking them down with it’s lumbering heavy steps.
Old Posted 11-10-2018, 12:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Neither of the hospital spelunkers needed to motion to the other to be quiet. Both knew. Both could hear the voices echoing down the empty hallway. Then, the hallway wasn't entirely empty. The spores could be seen in any stray rays of light dancing about in a sick display of potential sickness and death. Just because they weren't visible didn't mean that they weren't there, that they were safe. They stayed still, watching from the shadows, their breaths hot against the masks that neither would dare to take off until they were well away from the hospital – if they could make it that far. The words that carried spelled bad news for the pair. If Maverick's men were planning on taking everything, there would be nothing left for them. Perhaps that was his intent. If they didn't get to the tetanus first, Aren knew, they would have to kill the men. He prayed Taka was a decent shot. Aren had fired a gun exactly once in his life, and he couldn't say that it was a success.

Heavy footsteps drew nearer until Aren could reach out and touch the hem of the man's trench coat. Too afraid to move, his now adjusted eyes slid over in Taka's direction. She was moving slowly, so slowly that at first Aren had a hard time figuring out what exactly what it was she was doing until he saw a brief glint of metal. Her right hand still held her gun, but her left now gripped what appeared to a knife. Her eyes were focused on the man until he was a safe distance away and the two snuck behind, closing the door behind them.

Taka breathed, grateful she didn't have to use it just yet, but Aren's eyes were wide, looking at the knife and then back up to her face. The look was meant as a question and Taka answered with a shrug of her shoulder: “It's quieter. We'll be needing to follow him soon, but we've got to wait until he's fully unaware. That's when I'll cut him off.”

She nodded to an opposite doorway, “He's taking the long way. We'll be taking the shorter route. There aren't any fucking windows this way, so it's more dangerous. Probably why he didn't come this way. We'll cut him off at his destination.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 11-28-2018, 07:41 PM Reply With Quote