Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Double Rainbow
Default   #17  
It bugs me to hell that it seems many POC (or at least my black family) think that being called "white" should be an insult.

I was on set with an all-black cast once and the cameraman and a friend of the "director" kept calling me "white girl" and making jokes about my skin being "light".

At first, it made me feel bad... but then I realized. Yeah. I guess if you want to be technical, I AM white. And what's the problem in that?! I never understood why they act like it's a bad thing to be white. As if they are better than me for being more black?

Quote:

...but I'm somehow still cute, dammit... >_<;
You're definitely 1000% cute, Merskelly :)

I didn't realize that gatekeeping is also a huge issue in sexual identity. I used to associate with ace because sexual intimacy... I just didnt like it. But I knew a woman who was always adamant that I wasn't ace because according to her, Ace meant XYZ. (won't get into the details, but I think we all know what those are) and since I still did Y, that that meant I was not ace and would never be ace...
I googled "Asexuality" and showed her that ace can be different things for different people by sharing with her a quote on it.

She quickly tried to backpedal when she realized that she was being .. I'm so so sorry, friends... words escape me right now. But you know what I mean? She was extremely judgmental and unaccepting.

If I'm being really honest here,
I don't see the point in labels... All they do is divide us as a human race.
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 03-18-2020, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I like labels, because I like having words to describe things I feel/identify with. But I get that not everyone feels that way.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 03-18-2020, 10:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
Labels are fine as long as everyone understands they're necessarily-imprecise shorthand. It's when they fail to facilitate communication that there's a problem.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-18-2020, 11:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i use the word 'queer' as a label because it's easier than going into every single aspect of my gender identity and sexuality. how to tell someone in shorthand that you're transmasculine but also nonbinary, along w/ essentially being a demiboy?
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 03-19-2020, 10:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post

You're definitely 1000% cute, Merskelly :)
-~-; It is a curse. *shrugs hopelessly* I can't turn it off.
:/ I'm doomed to be cute no matter how hard I try to make myself un-cute. It's just a self-accepted fact of life now, o-o I was born cute, and unfortunately I'll die cute. =_=; I'll probably be in a hospital gown with fuzzy socks, a head flower and look like a smol, quiet, halloween decoration. x}

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 03-21-2020, 06:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
To be fair it's quite the challenge to not look cute when wearing fuzzy socks and a head flower.
Old Posted 03-22-2020, 12:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #23  
/:] I think, if you're not cute, you just look silly that way. <x} Lol, I have no idea. I've only ever been un-cute in dreams.

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 03-22-2020, 12:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Silly is a matter of not being entirely convinced of yourself. Take a look at the Rocky Horror Picture Show (original, darling) - with costumes like that you either believe in yourself 100% or you might as well already go home.
Old Posted 03-29-2020, 04:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #25  
I somehow know exactly what you mean, despite never having seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show, hahaha!
<X'D

Old Posted 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM Reply With Quote