Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Google Chrome help   #1  
The Browser Master thing is eating up a ton of physical memory (Not CPU) Like normally I'd run at 60-something% I'm now running at 90 plus. The one that's eating the most is the one that if I close, closes everything.

Why is it suddenly doing this? (Like while I was gone Windows read that my memory was low which has never happened before)

Google Chrome is completely up to date. I checked.

Or it could be Windows, but Idk.

Last edited by Yokuutsu; 02-21-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old Posted 02-21-2013, 03:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
There's one process for each of the tabs you have open. What you're seeing there is how much memory each page you have loaded is using up.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
The Master browser alone was using over 100k which isn't normal. They have never used that much for ONE process.

But I restarted and now it's not hogging physical memory...so....something worked XD
Old Posted 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
100k is a TINY amount of memory on a modern machine.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
Not really in my mind. Most computers around here have HALF the ram I do which means they wouldn't have been able to run Google Chrome under those conditions.

Like right now, what my computer is running at (no games, just skype and Google Chrome) the average computer around here would not be able to run it all. I'm at like 58% which means they'd be at over 100. It's sad to me when 4 GB of RAM is apparently not a good amount anymore.
Old Posted 02-22-2013, 02:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Okay, I've looked a little closer at that picture.

First off, that's not 100k. That's 100,000k, or 100 MB. 100MB isn't quite so absolutely tiny, but even on a machine with only 1GB of RAM (and note that Windows 7 64-bit has 4GB as the minimum recommended amount) that would only 10% of your system RAM. On your 8GB machine, that's only 1.2%.

Second, that's not physical memory; that's process memory. The memory corresponding to parts of the program that you're not currently using (for example, background tabs) can be stored on your hard drive instead of in your physical RAM if other programs, processes, Chrome tabs, or services need it. When this happens, your total physical RAM in use won't appear to change -- you'll still be at 90%+ usage, but everything will still work. It'll be a little bit slower for a moment when you do go and use the stuff that's been saved to disk, but once it's been reloaded (and something else is saved to disk in its place) you won't notice the difference.

Long story short: Chrome, with the master process and all of the tabs combined, is using up less than 350MB of RAM (that is, somewhere around 4.2% of your installed memory), and some of that may not even be physical RAM. Your computer is fine, Chrome is fine, and you shouldn't be seeing any trouble at all even on computers with half the specs of yours.

Edit: I suppose you could have more tabs open than show up in the process list there, but those would all be less than 11MB each, so you'd have to have literally hundreds of tabs open for Chrome itself to be the problem.

Odds are there's something else besides Chrome eating up memory, and since it's not showing in that list it's probably a system service instead of an application.

Old Posted 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM Reply With Quote