Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Morbidly Obsessed
Default PC Tablet   #1  
My mom brought up about me purchasing a tablet.. (not like the drawing tablet which I already own 0 o) but something along the lines of like the Ipad or the Kindle Fire HD to take in place of my labtop when I'm going to be out late.. (like tomorrow night). Only thing is.. I'm dead clueless on tablets.. I have found one for 99.99 that I can pay off in installments by Polaroid..

Anyone else known a tablet like this and willing to give me feedback and recommendations cause I'll be shopping around before I purchase but right now, this tablet is a maybe cause my mom will kill me if I get a kindle HD.. (cause she's been hyping about wanting one and she will pester the hell out of me if I got one)
Old Posted 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
What kind of price tag are you looking for? The one you've described there is sort of mediocre.

Edit: It's also important to ask what you're wanting to get out of the tablet.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Morbidly Obsessed
Default   #3  
Mainly the discussion was so I could carry my classwork back and forth to the college without anyone trying to mug me.. since my labtop is one of the more expensive ones over here.. but I guess mainly the same things as my labtop.
Old Posted 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
What kind of classwork, then? The big problem you're going to have trying to use a tablet for serious work is that they're NOT really "work"-type systems. They're great if you want to take notes. Looking up information on the web, fine. They're probably good enough if you're doing math homework. You almost certainly don't want to write an essay on one.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Morbidly Obsessed
Default   #5  
basically would need it for these:

- math problems
- Sense and other programming things for school
- to have my tablet (bamboo) also on it..

also been looking at netbooks. Which would be better for the needs I am wanting it for?

and price tag.. well.. I have seen a netbook for 60 pounds.. I don't see me purchasing for a week or two cause it's going to be a late christmas present from family overseas.
Last edited by Dawn; 01-31-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old Posted 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
If you need Sense, you're out of luck -- it's not available for any current tablets. And if you're expecting it to work like your Bamboo, you'll be disappointed.

Old Posted 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #7  
You won't find a true Tablet that will meet your needs. You would need a netbook at least or a secondary laptop. Basically you need the new "tablet' that is actually a laptop with a detachable keyboard.

The best option is to not get a iPad as most programming apps wont run on it, or Sense. Really we need your price range.
Old Posted 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That's not true, you could do Python and Lua on an iPad (and probably others), and you can do a LOT of different programming languages on an Android tablet. And you don't HAVE to have a built-in keyboard, you could buy a Bluetooth keyboard.

But as far as I know, Sense hasn't been ported to either tablet OS, so you're basically stuck with using a laptop of some sort. A bargain-basement netbook will probably be good enough if you have a primary laptop you use at home.

And as I said, you'll be disappointed if you expect an iPad or an Android tablet to work anything like your Bamboo tablet. People can create art on them just fine, but it's not the same experience and plenty of people get frustrated.

Old Posted 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Morbidly Obsessed
Default   #9  
I think that part I kind of mixed up what I was meaning with the bamboo tablet, I kind of want the tablet to support the bamboo tablet programs cause I will need use of the bamboo tablet for my design course, not to be like the bamboo tablet..

I am kind of surprised to see someone else know about Sense, usually people know it as Scratch, the MIT version since Sense was basically designed for the college I'm studying at. And currently the only two versions I know of are for Mac and Windows.. yet I am not sure about Scratch.. since it's more widely used, a tablet version could be available and all I would have to do is move the file from the tablet to the labtop using e-mail.

and actually, I have been eyeballing a netbook:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Netbo...9805818&sr=8-8
General
BrandEPC
Colorgreen
Screen Size7 inches
Processor
Processor BrandVIA
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Size4 GB
Additional Specifications
Power SourceAC
Operating SystemAndroid
Average Battery Standby Life (in hours)8 hours
Average Battery Life (in hours)4 hours

@Tiva - my price range would be anywhere from 25 dollars up to 200 dollars.. And a second labtop is out of the question.. I am using a Dell so I'm going to be very biased on other labtops and a MAC is out of the question. And preused is going to be out of the question as well.. my mom has a thing about purchasing anything electronic (ipods, kindles, gameboys, etc) second hand.. Most of my electronics are brand new.. -I still have a brand new ipod sitting in it's box and the new 3DS XL that has only been used.. five times.. I know some people would kill to own that.. since usually when a new system comes out, we usually preorder two of them..-
Last edited by Dawn; 02-02-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old Posted 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
If it has to support those programs, then you DEFINITELY can't get a tablet.

That netbook doesn't run Windows. It won't work for you.

Old Posted 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Morbidly Obsessed
Default   #11  
Yea.. I kind of need a system that will run the Sense.. that's the whole point of looking for a smaller system.. I'm traveling 30 mins away from where I am staying and in March, I'll be traveling even farther for my second course..

That was a general idea, any netbooks that could be recommended? I am only going on by what I found on Amazon and Ebay.. if not, I can look into a second hand labtop, I rather have cheap one that I can write off than my Dell if it gets lost or stolen.
Old Posted 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
(Nitpick: It's "laptop", not "labtop".)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+1...g!!18463087999

This one's a decent one.

Old Posted 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #13  
Netbooks and many basic laptops are WAY cheaper than tablets and would be much, much better at doing actual school work on.
Old Posted 03-02-2013, 03:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Heavenly Angel
You should check out Monoprice.
I heard they have some cheap good tablets there.
Old Posted 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Morbidly Obsessed
Default   #15  
Thank you..

I actually have one more concern.. my mom has found a samsung tablet she likes and has been bugging me about if it is worth purchasing or not..
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...I2YZGPXKLBXT9H
Old Posted 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That's an Android tablet. I've got its sister model, the Note, which is basically the same tablet with a pressure-sensitive stylus. As Android tablets go, that's a nice one.

But it's an Android tablet. It won't run any of the software you were saying you needed to run.

Old Posted 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote