Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #5217  
I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON THE COOLEST YARN EVER AND I'M MAD BECAUSE I WANT MORE OF IT BUT IT'S DISCONTINUED AND REALLY HARD TO TRACK DOWN IN THE COLORS I WANT!

Sorry for the all caps, it's just...really exciting and also maddening!
But look at how cool this shit is! It changes colors in direct sunlight! The yellow is more of a subtle shift, but the others are pretty stunning.
Old Posted 04-27-2021, 04:22 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
:(
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 04-27-2021, 08:26 PM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5219  
Yeeeeah. I keep thinking he should have a Y name.

Wow! I'd be yelling too. WHY DID THEY DISCONTINUE THAT??? Eeeeeeeee!

Ahem. You going to make yourself some pretty babies with that?
I'm not very active right now, because of stuff. If you don't see me around and you really need to get hold of me, you can yell at me over at one of these places?

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 04-27-2021, 09:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Given the cost of the yarn (approx $13-15 per skein, not including shipping), the amount per skein (100 yards), and the yarn weight (I think it's a #3/DK weight), I probably won't do any full dragons (or other animals) in it, but might do accents (like horn, spine, and wings) with it for a few.

Also maybe a shawl, though idk yet. The shawl I'm thinking of takes approx 600 yards and it's only 100 yards per skein. And I only got 3 skeins of each color, which was more than I should have spent. And the purple and blue are now 100% impossible to find, though I can track down a few more of the pink and yellows.
Old Posted 04-27-2021, 09:32 PM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5221  
Ahhh. Yeah, it'd look prettier as an accent. Maybe if you made a shawl with a design on, you could use the shiny for the design or part of the design?
I'm not very active right now, because of stuff. If you don't see me around and you really need to get hold of me, you can yell at me over at one of these places?

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 04-28-2021, 09:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Yeah...there aren't really any shawl patterns for loom knitting that involve colorwork type patterns. Just lace patterns that are basically the whole shawl or would be incredibly annoying to try to do just the lace part in the expensive yarn.
>.>

What I really want to do is get a big umbrella frame and make a lace parasol, but then put the lace part between clear vinyl so it can also be used as an umbrella.

Actually, I've wanted to do that long before I found the magic yarn, but how much cooler would it be to have a beautiful, lace parasol/umbrella that changes color in the sun?
But I need to first get an umbrella frame and then figure out inner and outer circumference as well as radius and somehow magically find/modify a pretty lace pattern for loom knitting that will fit those dimensions. And that's a lot of work.
Old Posted 04-28-2021, 11:33 PM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5223  
Awwww. Or ... well, for the parasol project, have you ever tried to learn crochet? I know it's probably harder than your loom knitting, but the shaping for circles is easier. Maybe.

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 04-29-2021, 01:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I've attempted crochet twice. I have managed to accidentally turn what was supposed to be a square dishcloth into more of a trapezoidal shape.
It's not for me.

Also, shaping and circles aren't that hard on looms, but I'd have to experiment with getting the right size dimensions (which if I were doing a solid stitch, I actually have a worksheet that does the math for me) and then figuring out how to modify lace stitches to fit those dimensions. Not impossible, just something I'd have to test in much cheaper yarn first (I think Caron is actually pretty close to the same yarn weight).
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-29-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old Posted 04-29-2021, 01:06 AM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5225  
Wowch. *sympathy*

Ohhh. And then you'd have super bragging rights, if you ever wanted them. (<joke)

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 04-29-2021, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Ultimate bragging rights! *flexes my wimpy crafter muscles* Lol
Old Posted 04-29-2021, 08:35 PM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5227  
*very happy that the joke worked!* XD

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 04-29-2021, 09:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I still need to make my own lace parasol. I have an old frame from a paper one I got at a thrift store years ago that was already in rough shape.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 05-01-2021, 01:48 AM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5229  
Oh nice, Den!

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 05-01-2021, 10:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Do it, Den! Make the thing!
XD

I have been teh lazy lately. But after I make it through today, I get 2 days off in a row, so hopefully will kick into gear and work on stuff more.

Tam: Am almost ready to begin assembly of Custard! Just need to stitch one arm closed, stitch up the sides of the years, and add eyes. Then it's stuffing and assembling time!
8D

Meant to work on her yesterday, but I was tired and did a lot of animal crossing stuff instead. Did take care of other important housework stuff though.
Old Posted 05-05-2021, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
I Am Tam
Default   #5231  
Do it do it, Den!

Kaderin, W00T! If there's time, could you stick a heart inside her? Just a paper one is fine. No problem if there's not time, it just occurred to me as a possible cute thing.

I hear you. I'm dragging my rear from work (JUST ONE DAY, DARNIT, TAM!), and then Hurricane Flo decided to arrive unexpectedly in the wee smas. BUT... I got the dishes done this morning. :D

My blog.

KofK

CS

Gaia

Sale thread

woman
Old Posted 05-05-2021, 03:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Of course I can put a little heart in! Tbh, I think I have a fabric with a heart print that might be the perfect size to one out of.
Old Posted 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM Reply With Quote