Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Hakuna matata
Default So my hard drive is running out of space..   #1  
A while back I hit 80 gigs and started to worry, so I deleted stuff, defragged, disk cleanup, etc, ended up back at 140 gigs and was happy. Now it's back down to 50 gigs free. @_@

I know for a fact that a big part of the problem is I have about 90 gigs (and counting, always) of music that I really don't want to get rid of.

I'm posting this thread because I want to get an idea of whether the only acceptable solution I can think of is actually a good idea or not.

What I want to do is get an external HD, put music and whatever else on there, and delete it from the internal HD.

Is that a good solution? If so, any recommended brand names for the external HD, etc? Any other suggestions?
Old Posted 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That's a perfectly reasonable solution. There are some things that don't work well on external hard drives (especially games) but music works pretty well that way.

As for brand names, it doesn't matter TOO much but avoid the "green" drives -- they're really slow.
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Self-proclaimed Non-Conversationalist
Default   #3  
Same predicament.... I can't afford one tho. So I put it on my wish list and mah Santa is getting it for me!

I'm gonna goad him into posting and giving you help on a brand. Which shouldn't be too hard since he likes the tech forums ;P

Lucid loves Duchess and takes her signature virginity. <3
Ashy refuses to share Duchess with anyone D:<

Duchess is idol TRASH
Feel free to bully me about it

Old Posted 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Police Force
I love external hard drives myself. I do agree with Coda about the games (and some videos for me), but if it's music, it is a good solution.

Suggestion is if you're going to be playing/watching something, copy it back on to your computer before playing it rather than playing off of the external.
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 04:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #5  
What's wrong with 50 gigs free? XD I have 38, nearly 39 gigs free. XD My laptop has only about 140 gigs, though.
I would be sooo happy if I could get external hard drive, though, but here it costs half of our month income. =_=;
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrain View Post
What's wrong with 50 gigs free? XD I have 38, nearly 39 gigs free. XD My laptop has only about 140 gigs, though.
I would be sooo happy if I could get external hard drive, though, but here it costs half of our month income. =_=;
Yes my darling Rainy... it costs sooo much T_T Which is why I had to ask Santa <33333

I have 90 GB free. Which is fine....... except for the fact that I have a 450GB hard drive >___>

I have stuff... loads of stuff. I have no clue how I accumulated that much.

mmm My downloads folder ALONE amounts to 120 GB. *huggles my installation files.* I could never trash you guyssss </333

Duchess is idol TRASH

Old Posted 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #7  
Sadly, even Santa cannot bring me such thing. D:

I don't really know where all this amount comes, too. Well, I know about 27 gigs could be the movies and such I just don't want to delete yet (like, I haven't had time to watch them all yet) and about 17 gigs are my music... But where does the rest come? @o@ And I did clean up all the junk files and defrag, etc. maybe a week ago. (I also don't have any games except for pokemon and such to run on snes computer emulator, but they are small) ;3;
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM Reply With Quote  
I have games..... 6 GB games... Installed... in iso form.. AND extracted. That's like 3x the space nomming XDDDDD

I really need that external HD... I think Santa is getting me a 1TB. Then I'll clear of eeeeveerrything X3

Duchess is idol TRASH

Old Posted 12-10-2010, 04:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Default   #9  
Yay for 1 TB HDs!
If my drive is getting cluttered by photos, music or movies I want to keep, but aren't using, I copy them onto CD and put them away. That way I still have them, but I don't have to worry about them taking up space that new stuff should have. And CD/DVDs are fairly cheap.
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Thanks, everyone! ^^ I just wanted some advice from people who actually know what I'm going on about... I talk to my mother about external hard drives and gigs and she looks at me like I'm speaking Latin. XD;

Coda - Alright, thanks for telling me that about games. I was thinking of maybe moving my PC games over, but they should be fine where they are. ^^ There's only about four of them anyway.

Duchess - Yay! I hope your Santa comes through for you. :]

Ashurato - Yeah, like I said, it's mostly the music. I tend to stick to console games more than PC and I don't really download videos so those aren't as much of a concern but it's good to know, thanks. ^^

Sadrain - My HD is about 250 gigs... I'm really not sure what I did with the other 100 gigs, but.. xD; I guess 50 gigs isn't that bad but it's enough to make me worried.

Vox - I'd love a 1 TB, that would take me ages to fill up, hopefully.

I'd be worried about losing/breaking CDs but it's a good idea. >w<
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
Default   #11  
Since I don't know how much you can afford, I'm gonna go ahead and give you my suggestion: buy a Western Digital Elements external drive. Right now Amazon is having the holiday price up to 40% off on those drives so you should decide fast. It's ranging from $60 for a 500 GB model to $110 for 2 TB so pick your poison. |B
Old Posted 12-10-2010, 10:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
That sounds like a really good deal! I'm kinda hesitant to buy something like that online due to shipping issues (don't want it to get knocked around and such), but that's really tempting.

Thanks! ^^
Old Posted 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Its a Trap!
Default   #13  
...80 gigs if music?

I don't even have one. .___. *can't imagine*

Getting an external drive is a good idea if you don't listen to music directly off your computer. If you do, you'd have to play it off your external drive, which might make it over heat or something? I'm not sure... mine always sucked and hated having things played right off of it.
I'm a boy.

Uke is Taiki's favorite uke. <3

Art by Taiki.
Old Posted 12-24-2010, 05:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
I'm sort of a music addict and I'm not picky about music at ALL so it's easy to find a ton of stuff I like. ^^;;;

Ack, really? T_T I do listen to music right off the computer if I'm home, generally.
Old Posted 12-25-2010, 04:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Ink well
Default   #15  
either the external hd or data disks.

dreaming in monochrome

Old Posted 12-25-2010, 05:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Well, today's the day. I'm hopefully gonna get the external, finally. I hope to get a Western Digital 500 gig but we'll see. :3 I'll edit this post to let you guys know later.
Old Posted 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM Reply With Quote