Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Double Rainbow
Default What are you afraid of?   #1  
Phobias are typically described as irrational fears
and yet oftentimes we have our reasons.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good descripion of what phobias can be

Quote:
a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.
Often recognized as irrational, yes.
Again I'd like to point out that a lot of us
have our reasons for fearing say spiders or clowns.

Sometimes the things we're most afraid of
aren't objects or things but concepts. Such as a fear of being alone.

Do you have any phobias?
What are your reasons for being fearful or violently disliking these things?
Or perhaps you have an actual inexplicable phobia.
Something you can't quite rationalize.

Please don't just post and run. Understandably if no one is online
you won't be able to actively engage in discussion.
Do try and check back and see if anyone's gone off of what you've said.

Old Posted 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
I have this fear of abandoment by death. I don't know why but I always have to check on people unobtrusivly to make sure they haven't died on me. I fear that everyone else will die and I'll be left alone.
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
Broken Muse is my girlfriend
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:
That is the general nature of things! An equality, a mutal need!

What? To kill and be killed? To love and to feed? That is what you support! There is no equality between the pet and the master.
-Elizabeth & Jason (From The Thirteenth Season)
Old Posted 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #3  
I think I might have some kind of a social phobia. I get annoyed at people easily sometimes and I get stressed out when there are big crowds of people around me because I feel like I'm being watched and judged. I don't like sitting in front rows because I feel like people are staring at the back of my head. I guess I'm also afraid of being alone. The world can be a quiet place with nobody around and I get scared when it's really quiet because I feel like everyone has disappeared. Not all the time, but sometimes I feel that way.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 09-21-2011, 11:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Aww Dark! I'm a professional worrier but not to that extent.
That's got to be rough always thinking people may have gone and died on you.

That's definitely sounding like social phobia(s) Ginger.
I have anxieties about having to speak to more than two or three people.
Like at work if there's a bunch of people roughing around in the pool
and I have to go ask them to knock it off and they all stare at me.
I wish the floor would swallow me up. It's not a confrontation thing
because one on one I'll butt heads with anyone.
It's more than a few people. That sets me on edge.

Forget about public speaking.
*shudder*

It's like you said about the watching and judging.
. .

Old Posted 09-22-2011, 03:02 AM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
Default   #5  
Heights, the Unknown, Death, and GOD.

Heights- falling from high places is a one way trip to death w/ low chances of survival.

Unknown- you really don't know what it is so i fear it might be scary.

Death- no further explanations needed since all of you know the reason why already.

God- I was taught by the elders to be a God-fearing person and so I am.
Old Posted 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused
i have a fear of failure and the fear of being lonely which at one point or an other are basic fears in my book
i love me some sexy neko girls

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Posted 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #7  
тнє ℓσνє σƒ мαgι¢ ιѕ вєуση∂ ƒσяgσттєη
»·,´·˙(´·˙¸ ¸˙·,)˙·,´•·˙·,¯´·˙·• •·˙·,¯´·˙·•╭☆╯•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´`·»

☪ஐﻬ☽ I have a fear of death and a horrible terrible fear
of throwing up. I will do everything in my
power to not throw up. And recently I have
begun to grow another new fear. A fear of
what I might do next. I'm severely depressed
and I already pretty much shaved my head
because of it so now I'm afraid what I might
do again when I get in one of my moods again.

»·,´·˙(´·˙¸ ¸˙·,)˙·,´•·˙·,¯´·˙·• •·˙·,¯´·˙·•╭☆╯•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´`·»
uǝʇʇoƃɹoɟ puoʎǝq sı ɔıƃɐɯ ɟo ǝʌol ǝɥʇ
Old Posted 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Saiyouri is there any sort of help or counseling available to you? I'm worried.
. .

Old Posted 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #9  

☪ஐﻬ☽ There is but I can't get to it yet. I have a doctors
appointment in the begining of November
and I want to rediagnosed with it and then
I will know everything that is wrong with
me so I can find a therapist that deals
with whatever it is wrong with me and I
just have to find a way to get in to see
the therapist. I don't drive and I don't
have a liscense so I can't really get to
places at all with my husband gone all the
time now. My son has a probation officer
and she said she will help me get to
appointments if I need to so I might take
her up on her offer. I just hope she can
help me get to them. I really don't know
what to do anymore. Ever since my husband
left to go on the road as a truck driver
things have gotten alot worse for me.

Old Posted 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Kookie Book-obsessed :D
I have this huge fear of having anyone being disappointed because of something I did. And yelling, if someone starts yelling I don't even know what they are saying I just focus on not running to be honest.
Old Posted 09-22-2011, 08:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #11  
Saiyouri- I'm glad you're attempting to get to these appointments. Hopefully you could find a therapist tat is close by? Or is there some sort of public transportation you could rely on. I'm sorry your husband is OTR that must be really difficult. I really can't even imagine. I'm here if you ever need an ear to chew on. Nothing I can say will make it better but sometimes just venting can help.

Hokan-jin - I can kind of understand this. For me it's not a fear of confrontation but when people yell it seriously hurts my ears. It's not diagnosed or anything but I think I have some kind of hyper-hearing. If a TV or radio is too loud it seriously physically hurts.
. .

Old Posted 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
"Face your fears to know thyself" so I say, well the fear of death is quite an exception yet we still need to be brave enough to face it coz Death's like the final boss every living creature will face in their life. Death is not something to be feared at all, but sometimes fear of death makes us wise and reasonable and prevents us from doing idiotic stuffs you can imagine off. So as I was saying Face your fears to know your strengths.
Old Posted 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #13  
I am afraid of height. Rather ridiculously so. I even got reminded of it today. I was in shopping mall, fourth floor, and there are only escalator or elevator to get down (or up). The escalators are really steep and really fast, but I don't like elevators very much (blame it on my mom and some things I've heard, plus the fact it's in hiiigh, empty space), so I always try to use escalators, but it gets harder and harder each time... Now I stopped at top of it and nearly gagged, already "seeing" how I don't manage to step on the "step" and I don't manage to keep my balance and fall all the way down... -shiver-
I am afraid of say, standing up on chair, too, cause I could fall backwards and break my backbone, if I fall on something or something... There is no higher than every-day height that I really feel as safe.
I am afraid of making a public mistake. I always weight out everything I have said to someone and find that I've done it "wrong" and then I get this feeling "they're gonna think I am dumb, etc.". I am slowly overcoming it somewhat, though. But I don't like and am awkward in most social situations, with strangers, public speeches and so on. With my family, though... No problems.
Similar about failures in general, but also overcoming it somewhat.
And I am a little afraid of never figuring what I really want, never finding motivation and ending my life somehow... only half lived, empty. If it makes sense. I want to achieve something, stabilize my dreams and then reach them, but sometimes I don't think I can do it.

I am not afraid of death. It will come eventually, for us all. It is natural thing and often, a relief, as cruel it might sound. But I don't want to suffer before my death, I don't want to be in pain. I don't want to die in catastrophe or something, when there is time to realize what is about to happen and that deep, deep fear, pleading for surviving and pain and then death...
I guess I am a little afraid of becoming old, ever since my grandmother died, and now how I see the age tortures my mother. But... They never had an ease, good life, never had the money to treat the health problems when they started. I hope my life will be different in that aspect, and I will be able to take care of my self and that all the suffering I've gone trough in childhood and teenage years will mean less of it when I am adult and then an elder.
I am also afraid of losing my mom, who is my only close person in this world. But that is no phobia, but very normal thing, I think.

.... Heh, this came out much longer than I thought. xD
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Old Posted 09-23-2011, 08:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
I am afraid of my family's thoughts. Quite normally really in any family I think. I'm lucky my asian family is quite Americanized heh. But still the fear freezes me in indecision. Every time they catch hint I'm interested in something they talk about it like I'm going to pursue the interest and try to encourage me. They're not really bad. But because attention is on me I stop doing said thing for fear that now they know I could never be good enough or something. Like I'll fail in any pursuit. Whether they know it or not because if I pursue an interest they'll eventually find out. How will it be if they don't see it positively (which I doubt) or if I'm not doing a good job in their point of view? So I do what I've always done: what' I'm told. Knowing only the minimum of what I most know to do what's necessary for my every day life.

Hmm even if I know the reasons behind it the fear is somewhat irrational considering my family and the fact I'm being held back by this. Or maybe because this is becoming a self-diagnosis I am in a typical fashion victimizing myself. xP
Old Posted 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #15  
being a fool in front of a group. i freeze up and the world shrinks to the size of my own skin give or take an inch, i feel like running away forever or dying right on the spot

even now as i try so hard to get attention, if i get too many eyes on me i run away
Old Posted 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
Saiyouri- I'm glad you're attempting to get to these appointments. Hopefully you could find a therapist tat is close by? Or is there some sort of public transportation you could rely on. I'm sorry your husband is OTR that must be really difficult. I really can't even imagine. I'm here if you ever need an ear to chew on. Nothing I can say will make it better but sometimes just venting can help.

Hokan-jin - I can kind of understand this. For me it's not a fear of confrontation but when people yell it seriously hurts my ears. It's not diagnosed or anything but I think I have some kind of hyper-hearing. If a TV or radio is too loud it seriously physically hurts.

☪ஐﻬ☽ Thank you very much Wicked. I will keep your offer
in mind. My psychrist is a hour away and
I'm not sure if there is any public transportation
that will take me to another city for the
therapist. I live in a really small town so
I will have to go to the main city in the
county for a therapist. I just hope there
is a way to get there. I really hope there is a way.

Old Posted 09-23-2011, 01:30 PM Reply With Quote