Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

"Where to, Miss? To the Stars."
Default Gardening!   #1  
Hey fellow Trisphians or Trisphites,

I've recently been interested in gardening. I'm starting off very, very small-I bought a pot the other day and some sunflower seeds. Now, I have three cute little dwarf sunflowers growing. So far, so great.

Anyone of you like gardening? Any tips? :]

P.S. My avatar may or may not be subconsciously inspired by sunflowers and springtime.
Old Posted 03-15-2017, 09:44 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
OHH YES
I love gardening! As for tips, it all depends on what you are planting, your climate and soil area, if you are doing flowerbeds or potted gardening so on so forth.
I was raised gardening, and have 15 decent size flowerbeds on our property now, with my mother trying to add another 3 behind her 5th wheel. . . .
As a young-preteen I wanted to study herbs and be a real like natural alchemists of sorts XD Now I grow some herbs, some veggies and quite a bit of flowers, but currently a lot of roses, tulips and irises.

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 03-16-2017, 12:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #3  
YES! I'm starting to really love gardening. I'd like to do a screen of privacy trees along the fence line in the back yard to reduce road noise and make our yard look more green and lively. Right now we can see our neighbor's ugly boat when we look outside and we want to hide it.

We just bought our first house in October, and the yard is devoid of any life. There's very, very little grass. It's not landscaped at all. Starting from scratch is going to be a little costly compared to future years, but I feel like it's all going to be worth it. I'll be focusing mainly on perennials this season. I got a few Hostas to line around the front porch, 6 stargazer lilly bulbs, some grass seed just to get started on growing the lawn, and a couple of small planter buckets for wildfowers just to add some color to the front porch.

I'm pretty excited to start with a bare yard, front and back, that way we can landscape it the way we want.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-16-2017, 01:23 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I think one of the biggest pitfalls I come to with gardening is with trying to find flowers I like that won't accidentally kill my animals if they eat them (certain lilies and things like poinsettas)

Starting from scratch is super rewarding. You can be sure of what you want to do with the place to make it your own comfortable home. I have a privacy tree fence in my front yard and it's great, I never have to worry about people driving by looking into my yard.

If you don't have a ton of space for a vegetable garden, there is the thing of gutter gardening that has come around. You can plant in some gutters you put up on a fence, and don't have to worry (so much) about pests getting to them and taking up yardspace.

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 03-16-2017, 01:42 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #5  
For some reason a local CVS shop started selling gardening kits around today. Living in an apartment and having stuff die on me, I've never gardened. It's starting to sound fun with springtime being around the corner though

Old Posted 03-16-2017, 05:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Gutters are actually a great idea! Just zip tie them to the fence. They'll be sure to get plenty of sun and pests definitely won't be as much of an issue. Just need to be conscious of deer and squirrels picking off all of the berries lol. I planted sunflowers one spring at my grandparents house, and deer came along and bit off the buds. I never got to see them bloom. They were just stalks and I left them there so I could laugh whenever I saw them.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #7  
@u@ yes!
In previous years I have not been successful with gardening. This year I am trying something different. I am starting my seeds in a bag and then I am going to transfer to an egg carton green house. Then I am going to use milk cartons. I live in an small urban space. Once I found out you could use milk cartons as upside down containers I was sold.
Old Posted 03-18-2017, 07:15 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I need to find someone to rototill an area for me to plant veggies for this year, and I need to find one soon. . . but first I need less rain XD

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #9  
I am waiting for it to officially stop being bi-polar where I am. We have a strange 8 hour snow storm along with cold weather lately. I don't want my little guys freezing outside.
Old Posted 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
I love gardening. I've been doing it sense I was a little kid. So far right nowI don't have much except for some flowers I'm growing for my pet. Unfortunately I'm on the loosing battle with snails and slugs. I'm also currently trying to grow cactus pads from cuttings. Really hoe it works. It'll save me from buying more. I'm also growing aloe Vera for him.

Any tips I'd give you have already been said.
Old Posted 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #11  
I've started raking along the border of the back porch, and there are roots everywhere. I'm pretty sure they're from the maple tree, which we'll be getting rid of.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Hehe so something unexpected happened. I took some seeds from some mini sweet peppers weeks ago and started to germinate them. I had them in a bag. After a week they didn't look like they really work. About two weeks later my grandma is cleaning and asked me if I was going to put them in a pot... I was kind of like what those aren't they dead? She goes no and showed me that I had a bag full of sprouts.
Last edited by Poggio; 03-26-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #13  
Once I move to my new apartment in a few months, I am planning on getting some succulents and maybe some cat-friendly plants c:

No idea how I want to set it up/how to take care of it all...so if anyone wants to give me pointers that'd be awesome ;D
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Have you thought about a vertical garden? And since you are doing succulents you could do a succulent wall art.

Old Posted 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #15  
The vertical garden is a great idea for apartments! Another thing I mention to people if they admit to killing plants all the time (Just in case anyone here does) is to get one of those air plants XD

If you can't afford pots at first use Juice jugs!

And if you have railings apparently THESE pots exist!

And water bottles can be recycled like this with a hoe through them for watering!

Have Au and some Runes

Last edited by SparX; 03-26-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
That is what I plan to do. I have a bunch of milk jugs ready.
Old Posted 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM Reply With Quote