Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In
View Poll Results: Which avatar is the best? You can choose more than one.
ml1201 2 40.00%
Lawtan 2 40.00%
Awen Moonshine 1 20.00%
Espy 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Couturier
Default 'Haunted' Avatar Contest - Round 3 Voting   #1  

[top]Round 3

The third theme is all about winter and the holidays. Use your avatars to tell us all about what winter or the holidays mean to you. Is it the joy of family, the gifts from friends, or the freshly fallen snow? The only limit is your imagination.

You have two days to vote on your favorite entries (until 11/22 at 11:59 PM CST).
Old Posted 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM  
Couturier
Third Round
Theme: Winter
Entries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1201 View Post
I Have An Entry!

Username: ml1201
Round : 3
Imbedded Image or Image Link:
For me the holidays is about spending time with family and not really about what I got for Christmas. There was a time in my life that I was happy to get clothing from my family because we had lost our home, most of our clothing, and at times couldn't eat or bath properly. That's why people going crazy with shopping on days like Black Friday and last minute shopping before Christmas to get all the deals has never settled well with me, even more so when at times people were trampled to death because of them. The holiday becomes more and more about money and not appreciating the little things in life that makes us happy, which is what I plan to teach my children in the future if I ever have any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawtan View Post
I Have An Entry!

Username: Lawtan
Round (1, 2, or 3): 3
Embedded Image or Image Link:

The holidays for me have changed a good bit over the last few years. Whereas the time of year used to mean giving, and helping, and charity, the last few years have been uncertain at best. I've been ill the last 3 years during December, and so unable to do as much.
On a positive note, the winter season, by some old traditions, is supposed to be the time of telling old folklore. This, I have taken to heart, and I have shared stories I learned with people from October 31 to February 2. It is very beautiful to me, and to only tell such tales during that timespan keeps them somewhat special and memorable. It has developed my love of storytelling, and is one of the initial things that has helped me move out of depression.
As such, my avatar reflects the old Crone of Winter, Cailleach, carrying a book of lore and a fairy-dragon on her arm. Beneath her robes is a bundle of wood, collected for February 2 - where, if she collects enough firewood, she will keep Brigid locked away for a longer winter. A short winter would mean Cailleach overslept, and is unable to gather more firewood.

A poem I wrote, featuring Cailleach and Nanabhozo, the Ojibwe spring trickster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen Moonshine View Post

The thing I love the most about winter/the holiday season is that it normally means I am curled up somewhere warm, in baggy comfortable clothing reading (with the occasional cup of something hot) Once all the presents have been dropped off at my families places it means I have plenty of free time (after frantically shopping for everyones gifts), although I don't normally get to rest much until after the 19th of December (my baby brothers birthday)... ^_^;; I have a large family so organizing presents and drop offs for said presents is difficult, but can usually be done in one day as they all live close together ^_^ After that I tend to have lots of free time to catch up on things (like finishing old books and starting new ones!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
I Have An Entry!

Username: Espy
Round (1, 2, or 3): 3
Embedded Image or Image Link:

Despite hailing from California, I really love the snow and cold, and have a sort of self-imposed tradition to have ice cream or some other frozen treat at first snow. It's a time where, while a lot of things are asleep or perhaps dead, I feel very much alive.

EDIT: Sorry, might be a few minutes too late.
Old Posted 11-20-2014, 05:10 PM