Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #705  
Ugh. Had to go on break early. So the last 3.25 hours are gonna take FOREVER.
Old Posted 04-24-2019, 04:46 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
hope you survived kad
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #707  
Meanwhile..I'll just be...

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 04-24-2019, 06:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Omg, having my break that early makes a 5 hour shift feel like an 8 hour one...
Now to go walk about 1.5 miles to the other job to work for another 4 or so hours...
XP
Old Posted 04-24-2019, 08:07 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #709  

Sometimes a little space is nice

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
The tale I have told you,
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
Bright maiden, proud youth
The tale is a lie;
What it tells is the truth.”

― Traditional folktale ending

Old Posted 04-25-2019, 08:06 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
yesss spaceeee

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 04-25-2019, 08:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #711  
Had a freaky as hell dream last night. o-o I didn't want to remember it so I tried to forget it as soon as I woke up. >->; I don't even know where it came from, but it happened when my brother's awesome alarm woke me up at 5 am, T-T because he didn't take his phone with him to bed.

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 04-26-2019, 02:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste View Post
...just wanted to say...I low-key love when anime put phonetic subtitles on their opening and ending theme songs so I can properly sing along with the catchy music instead if improvising and getting 99% of it wrong...
100% agreed!

Learning Japanese songs phonetically has come back to bite me a couple times, though. In both cases, I was idly singing along with the song when it finally clicked in my head what it was I was actually singing. And then the tears started flowing.

One time it just about made me fail my DDR song. (Riyu Kosaka's "true..." -- "dare no tame ni egao de iru no / dare no tame ni ikiteyuku yo / oshiete hoshii, anata no hoka ni irunda to / watashi ni dekiru koto / sore wa anata wasureru koto" -- "for whom do I smile? / for whom do I go on living? / please tell me who there is aside from you / the things you can do for me / are the things that you forget")

One time I was driving and I really had to struggle to stay focused on the road. (Kunitake Miyuki's "Miss You" -- the whole song is amazing so I can't really extract one bit, so here's a link to the lyrics: https://remywiki.com/MISS_YOU#Lyrics)

Riyu Kosaka's "Candy<3" comes to mind as one that did the opposite; instead of making me tear up, it made me giggle from how cute and lighthearted it is. ("kokoro ni niji kakete, nanairo no melody doko made mo sora takaku" -- "hang a rainbow from your heart, the seven-colored melody will take you as high as the sky")

There have been a few other Japanese songs that have gotten me choked up but I understood the lyrics just fine the first time. Crystal Kay's "Motherland" ("kaeru basho de aru you ni" -- "so that there will be a place to come home to") comes to mind off the top of my head.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #713  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
100% agreed!

Learning Japanese songs phonetically has come back to bite me a couple times, though. In both cases, I was idly singing along with the song when it finally clicked in my head what it was I was actually singing. And then the tears started flowing.

One time it just about made me fail my DDR song. (Riyu Kosaka's "true..." -- "dare no tame ni egao de iru no / dare no tame ni ikiteyuku yo / oshiete hoshii, anata no hoka ni irunda to / watashi ni dekiru koto / sore wa anata wasureru koto" -- "for whom do I smile? / for whom do I go on living? / please tell me who there is aside from you / the things you can do for me / are the things that you forget")

One time I was driving and I really had to struggle to stay focused on the road. (Kunitake Miyuki's "Miss You" -- the whole song is amazing so I can't really extract one bit, so here's a link to the lyrics: https://remywiki.com/MISS_YOU#Lyrics)

Riyu Kosaka's "Candy<3" comes to mind as one that did the opposite; instead of making me tear up, it made me giggle from how cute and lighthearted it is. ("kokoro ni niji kakete, nanairo no melody doko made mo sora takaku" -- "hang a rainbow from your heart, the seven-colored melody will take you as high as the sky")

There have been a few other Japanese songs that have gotten me choked up but I understood the lyrics just fine the first time. Crystal Kay's "Motherland" ("kaeru basho de aru you ni" -- "so that there will be a place to come home to") comes to mind off the top of my head.
Ah, see, I'm a big poser, other than the basic words that everyone picks up on from anime, I don't actually know Japanese. It would be fun to learn, but I am horrible at retaining languages (took 4 years of Spanish, literally only can remember a few words and silly phrases ex: tu casa es mi baño) I just like not horribly mangling pronunciations as I sing along. I feel so bad singing along with some of the j-pop songs that I like because I know I'm only getting maybe 1 word right in the whole song.
So I never actually know what I'm singing. Though some (most) songs have really powerful emotion in them, so it's not too hard to still pick up on what the main emotion is.
Old Posted 04-26-2019, 01:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I took three years of Japanese in college but I'd been learning songs phonetically for at least a couple years before that. So as my language skills improved, I would occasionally be able to pick up something I hadn't noticed before. And sometimes for songs that I really liked I wouldn't bother thinking about it until it all hit me at once.

My Japanese has gotten pretty rusty after going for years without using it very much, but it still occasionally surprises me how much I can still pick out.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-26-2019, 02:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #715  
Yeah, I think it's easier to retain a second language when you use it more. Where I live, there's not a lot of cultural diversity, so I don't have much of a chance to use another language beyond english.
Old Posted 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
8] Endgame is sold out everywhere.
<x] …*inhale*...patience...is...one of..my...best...virtues.. -w- *emits groan of dormant rage*

Old Posted 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #717  
*buys coffee* *immediately regrets buying coffee because it might have cost slightly too much so I may be a few dollars short of making rent unless we actually get paid on the 1st like we should instead of the 3rd (or later) like we usually do at the museum*
Old Posted 04-26-2019, 06:19 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
I've been trying to study japanese for the last eight months... I suck at it lol. Like there are some words where I can hear it and know what they mean, and then some words where I can see it and know what they mean and even others where I can see it and know what it would sound like - but, there are very few where I know all three and I can't create new sentences to save my life
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #719  
Ohhhkayy! <x} Hehehe, just found out what that one song was, I couldn't stop humming and giggling about in the morning.
It's Habanera from the opera Carmen.

Old Posted 04-27-2019, 02:31 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
I never thought I would be attempting to make Cloud's sword, yet here we are. ;u;

Granted it's not for me but my bf since he is the one cosplaying Cloud in our FF group(which consists of both FF VII and FF XV characters go figure).

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 04-27-2019, 06:45 AM Reply With Quote