View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #23  
Heaven
Katarina's fingers gripped the handle to her mug, enjoying a good beer when she got one, and this was definitely one of the better. Nice and stout, just as she asked. The good beer, however, was not on the foreground of her thoughts and she peered over her mug to the struggling new angel, her face contorted to one of worry.

Sage put up a hand and plastered a cheeky grin on his face, “Better now! I promise...I just, I guess I just didn't think it applied to drinks as well, but I guess I did give up my ability to taste.”

The bartender laughed, “That's a bit obvious, isn't it? If you could have tasted it in life, it'll turn to ash once in your mouth. This even goes for shit like grass. Trust me on that.”

“How do you know so much about my sacrifice?” Sage asked, cocking his eyebrow at the bartender. He was now fully involved in that conversation, unaware that the two ladies had actually spoken to him because when they initiated the conversation he was in the midst of a muddy ashy crisis.

“Hey, I keep a bottle of demon blood round these parts for a reason,” he said, winking.

Katarina shook her head and smiled at Luka, “That's no matter. We can teach you. We're just sick of the stiffs up top and want to see if we can find anyone...more bearable to hunt with. It will be more difficult to deal with if one of us dies if we actually like each other, but that's why we'll have to make sure none of us die, yes?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-11-2018, 06:11 PM Reply With Quote