Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #115  
I dunno, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to blow this engine up from too many objects as long as they're passive (that is, they're flagged as "these things don't interact with anything, but they can be interacted with") and set as triggers (that is, they're flagged as "these things don't use high-resolution collision detection with other objects, they just react when something overlaps them").

Check out how fast this runs: http://xmpps.greenmaw.com:8880/~coda...es=300&count=1

You can change the "sprites" value in the URL if you want to try stressing it harder. On my laptop here I can still get 60fps with 1000 sprites. And keep in mind that's while animating them moving around and interacting with each other. If they're spread out so they're not interacting with as many other objects, that's lighter. If they're not moving at all, it's pretty close to free. (Tip: Animate bouncing items by changing the rendering, not by moving the object itself.)

The engine itself doesn't provide any tools for saving data, but you can send a request to a server to save data in the cloud or you can use HTML5 localStorage to save data locally. That's how I'm tracking your high score in Golden Lord.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-07-2018, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote