Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Oh, goodness, not only did I not post my game for Ludum Dare 49 yet, I completely forgot to post my submission for Ludum Dare 47!

(I didn't participate in Ludum Dare 48 because a lot of stuff was going on around that time, and my parents wanted to meet up with my family for my birthday, which was the same weekend. Overall, I think this was the right choice in the end.)

Skyloop

The theme of LD47 was "stuck in a loop," and my game was Skyloop. It's a game. *shrug* I think it fit the theme pretty well, but it's not all that compelling. I think I did a decent job with the music, though, but engine noise kinda covers it up.

Overclocked

I'm far more pleased with my LD49 submission: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/49/overclocked

The theme was "unstable." I instantly got the idea of an overheating, glitchy computer. And I am SUPER happy with a lot of the effects.

The sprites are just okay. I know I'm not the greatest artist, but I came up with something that works well enough, at least. But the effects came out wonderfully. The NES-style tile glitching, the matrix rain, the video snow and CRT power-off, the DOS visual style... It's a little bit sad to me how many people won't get the DOS references, though.

I'm also pretty happy with the music! I would really like to get some better music software, but given the retro styling of the game I think the old-fashioned MIDI sound works out.

And the gameplay is pretty solid, although it's also really difficult. I feel like the play control is pretty responsive (except when the game gets laggy from too many visual effects) but the difficulty curve needs some tuning -- if you try to take things too fast it gets too hard too quickly. The puzzles are also really challenging; I even put a cheat code ("plugh") in to let people play the rest of the game without getting stuck if they can't figure out the strategies.

So yeah, I'm happy with how this all turned out, especially since it's a game jam and I made everything in 72 hours!
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-08-2021, 12:52 PM Reply With Quote