View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #15  
Nanika clamped her jaw shut. So what if she took a couple extra gold to make sure she was fed and well-clothed? She made sure each of the girls had that and more. She wanted them to live a better life than they would on the street. That, at least, she could say with one hundred percent certainty. Of course, she wouldn't be able to explain the nuances to Tritonia, so she said simply, “That's none of our concern. I also have needs.” Her voice was a low growl, threatening, but inaudible to most, save those in the closest vicinity.

She led the way up the stairs, taking Tritonia down the hall to the final door. Knocking softly, she pressed her ear to the door until she received the permission to enter, opening the door a crack, “Chidi? It's Nanika...and...the bard from earlier....”

“What?! No! Get her away from me!”

Nanika's brow furrowed and she sighed, “I didn't have much say in the matter. I can't say I doubt that she has the ability to hunt down the connections I was planning on using and ruining your life there. She is making threats that I can't say I don't believe...”

Chidi stood up from her bed, glazed red eyes staring blankly ahead, irises shifting slightly to see the faces through the crack. Trudging, she finally opened the door completely and peered around Nanika's shoulder to see Tritonia's smirking features. She stepped out of the doorway to allow them to pass through and when they were, she shut it behind them. “Tell me what the hells is going on here.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 08:15 PM Reply With Quote