View Single Post
We're all mad here.
Default The Games You Grew Up On   #1  
As the title says, what were the games you remember playing as a kid? Anything that sticks?

The big ones for me that I recall were Mother Goose Land, Dungeon Master, and Warcraft 2.

Mother Goose was basically a go-fetch game for kids. I learned gaming efficiency very early on with this as each time I played through I would decide how to pick up and drop off the required nursery rhyme items with as little walking time as possible.

Dungeon Master actually scared me, but my big brother and my dad played it an I wanted to play it, too. I wasn't very good at it. I could only really kill things after my dad showed me how to close doors on them (before that I would pause the game and get him to do the fights because the monsters scared me), and hurt myself routinely by walking in to walls. The game is not dummy proof. It did start off the whole RPG train of my life (Barbarian, Ultima, Menzoberranzan, Dafferfall, Baldur's Gate...) It's still what I think back to when I encounter shriekers or rust monsters.

Warcraft 2 is probably the first game I played "hard core" (minus Mother Goose). I actually got pretty good at it (for an 11 year old or so) and got within one level of finishing before discovering cheat codes (On Screen!). I can never hear "For the horde!" without imagine it in the little generic orc voice. I think the soundtrack in ingrained into my head, as well.
Old Posted 11-30-2015, 02:11 PM Reply With Quote