View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Percival suppressed a smile, seeing the knight's facial expression and the placement of Waltz's blade, shaking his head. He'd stopped with the steady flow of words in a long dead language, keeping his palm open. Once the incantation was spoken, the wound would be temporarily mended for the next several minutes, the wizard already mentally sorting through spells, finally settling on a spell of True Mending. The spell was a classic as far as Percival was concerned and was amazed that not all healers took the time to learn it. It had never let him down, or anyone else in his parties for that matter.

“Ah, but Waltz, you are forgetting the part where I keep you alive. Not only alive, but thriving, morally boosted by the pipe and alcohol I provide – causing you to be healthy in body as well as mind,” Percival said, tapping his temple, grinning back at the barbarian as she pulled the knight to the wizard and Percival knelt down, sliding off Christoval's boot. This motion would have caused the young knight no discomfort thanks to the first spell, and Percival found himself grateful that he'd gotten into the habit of casting the spells as a pair. It prevented equipment from needing to be cut off and helped ease the injured's mind. Dead Waltz's and Percival's cooperation was so fluid, so expected by the other that the two gave the air of being a well-oiled machine, well-adjusted to the other's antics. Percival knew that he didn't so much as need to stand to make way to the injured knight – he knew already that she would bring him to him. “Yes, I'm certain that you can settle just about as well as I – which is why we both are nearing our twilight years and still very active on the road, yes? Let's face it, Waltz, the two of us are about as likely to settle down as Ara is to start wielding a great-axe,” he said, scratching under his beard and getting to his feet. He handed the boot back to Christoval and nodded. “That should keep you up until the next time you muss it up. Any girls you plan on taking to bed now that your ankle is mended?” he said lowering his voice only slightly and winking.

Percival turned his attention to the dark mage and pursed his lips, “Wisp, I believe you are forgetting how well-read our little pyress really is. Of course she will never take you up on that offer. She knows what happens to the dead who are brought back.” He shook his head amazed that she would even offer to that to a person she traveled with so frequently, rolling his eyes as the dark mage turned her attention to the halfling in question.

Kastivi clung to the branch of the tree she was in, wide-eyed and doing her best to not let her whimpers be heard over the sound of snarling. She could hear Wisp's taunting, biting back the urge to ask her what it was she wanted. Initially, she was not supposed to aid – it was her 'aiding' that got Percival injured in the first place. Now, she was being told that because she left, Christoval would have been dog food. Conflicting messages did little more than confuse the trainee, but she wasn't about to admit that. Instead, she looked to the branches of neighboring trees trying to see if she could make the jump. She didn't know if she needed to continue running or if she was expected to fight the creature, so she looked helplessly at her mentor. Her mentor offered no help, instead shaking her head at the dark mage, “She's quite clever, and the thought might pass her mind, but as the lesson here is to aid your party rather than let them get eaten, the likelihood of her pursuing those thoughts are slim to none.”

It was then that Percival appeared behind the two women, tapping the taller on the shoulder, “Wisp, I do not mean to bother you, but perhaps a punishment for the youngling could be carried out while we are on the road? The entire debacle has caused us to waste precious daylight and I'd like to make some distance so we can camp and Waltz and I can drink like we normally do when there aren't annoying children about.”

“I could double the weights around her ankles...”

“Hey, Kastivi!” Percival shouted at the tree. When he saw that her eyes were on him he asked, “Have you learned your lesson?”

She nodded eagerly.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 11-09-2018, 08:21 PM Reply With Quote