View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Arabella swallowed some of the spit that had gathered at the back of her throat and nodded. What was she going to say? She knew nothing of any dark deities, or at least most of them, and she was unsure if she even had anything of worth she could actually offer them. The most precious thing to her was Kastivi, and as the very thing she was trying to protect, of course she was off the table. The most she could offer was herself, and she prayed to the Goddess and whoever else might be listening that it would be enough. “I will, but I don't know who to call or...or if I have anything of even remote worth to a demon...” She spoke with her voice low, occasionally glancing back to make sure there were no unwanted ears listening. She wished she was taking notes once more, nodding to show that she was listening. “If I don't have anything to give, what do I do then?”

Percival caught the small container with only a small struggle of keeping it in the air before he finally managed to grasp it and held it up to examine it. “Hm. I'm surprised I haven't thought of that yet. Credit where it's due, Dead Waltz. It's a nice system you've got going on there,” the wizard said, tossing the container back to her. “I think you're right, but I also think he underestimates me and my abilities. I haven't lost a party member in over ten years and the drink has been at my side since,” Percival huffed, then sighed, “I'm hoping Kastivi does help with that. Hells, I'm amazed he still manages that attitude with our dark mage over here. We'll get our chance to drink, Waltz; it will just have to be over a campfire rather than on the road. We'll play by his rules for now. Once he sees how I operate, perhaps he'll change his mind,” he said, then adding underneath his breath, “Hopefully.”

He looked down to the dark mage, a look of obvious confusion lining his features as he tried to figure out her motives. His eyes followed the direction the death glare, moving back to Wisp, “Disinterested? No. Try to understand, my career as a light mage entails accompanying already formed parties of aventurers and sellswords already acquainted with each other who were too interested in pursuing the glories of war to learn healing magics. Parties that are more than content enough to ignore me, just as I am more than content enough to let them. You understand that I am not used to the attention, see. Now, tell me, Wisp, why is it that you want to know me far more intimately? I'm a tired old man who likes his drink. I am not anyone of any real interest, of that I can assure you.”

Then, through the woods, a long, loud howl. Percival raised his eyebrows to Wisp, “It sounds as though your hounds have found their prey. And it also sounds as though things are not going according to plan. Shall we pursue them?”

> > >

Kastivi knew immediately that she messed up. She could remember Wisp saying that the beasts were told to not harm either of them, but something about Christoval's ankle being caught in the beasts jowls set her off and she felt like she had to help. The opposite was true, and now Christoval was hurt because of her. Pangs of guilt hit her chest in waves, but now she had the more immediate issue of a hellhound with its eyes set on her to deal with. It locked eyes with her widened, sheltered ones and took a step back, her palms still flaming. At the moment, its eyes were locked onto her, and she prayed it stayed that way. She decided then to run and prayed it pursued her.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 08-21-2018, 01:41 AM Reply With Quote