View Single Post
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #25  
There was a bit of commotion as the the next person to make her entrance into the guildhall arrived; a few people pointing and looking on and then whispering to themselves. it wasn't often they had veterans coming through the doors these days, and especially ones that had done more to earn their keep. The woman was a bit on the tall side, muscled arms glistening in paint and sweat as she looked around before deciding on keeping the rather vicious and large looking sword she had on her person.

If they weren't looking at her because she was caked in war paint and dirt, it was definitely the lack of clothing. It seemed like the woman was something out of the hellish wastes to the southeast, where barbarian tribes ruled without question. A loincloth and and leather bindings were all that were keeping her decent, and the only real article of clothing someone could say she was wearing was the cloak of matted and dirty fur that had the faint smell of wet dog.

Enter: Deadwaltz.

It wasn't her real name, but rather the moniker other people had given her after they witnessed the woman dancing on the bodies of orcs and other monsters she had slain in front of people. Rumors abound, the woman was a monster among humanity. And she knew it.

One of the guildkeepers looked towards her and waved her over for a moment; Deadwaltz bounding over towards her and beaming like a child, before swishing her cloak around; the Guildkeeper wrinkling his nose at the smell, before shaking his head. "No contracts worth you salt. Nothing big around here in these parts. Unless you're looking for some sort of goblin slaying. Doesn't seem like your kinda w-"

"Gimme! Mah sword kills things, no matter what they are!" Deadwaltz said, booming with laughter that made her form jiggle a little; earning the eye of one of the younger recruits near her, before he went red in the face and turned away. "I ain't anything to fight anymore. Ogres is moving to the mountains to take their big sleep. Other guildie stole mah dragon. It's unfair." Deadwaltz pouted, crossing her arms and kicking at the desk, making it bounce a bit.

"Only problem is the contract is a training session too. A Daughter and her apprentice. And then. Ahem. Wisp. Also another healer. Don't know him personally." The Guildkeeper murmured, wincing and waiting for the response from Deadwaltz, who blinked a few times.

"Wisp? Ah love her! She's funny. Makes people mad. They walk away instead of punching her. No wonder people avoid her. I threw her into a river and she leaves me alone. Ah'll take it!" Deadwaltz offered a small bow at the befuddled Guildkeeper, before looking around. "Ah need beer. And to find mah healer we're traveling with. Hmph. Stupid healers. Ain't around when ah need them." Storming off, the woman began her trek, grabbing people by their clothing and pulling them in close to ask them if they were hunting goblins, earning bewildered responses and a few innuendos about gripping spears.

"Ah mean, I dunno why you'd want me to grip your spear. Ah got mah own..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Looking down towards his mug and noticing a good portion was gone, Christoval sighed and then looked at the bit of ale meant for Wisp, longing in his eyes, though he steeled himself rather well. God knows what Wisp would have done to him if he had drank her ale, even a sip. The mage had a knack for getting him to admit things. The trip was starting to look better, with the thought of Kastivi being around while he was venturing. His redness seemed to subside a bit and knight-to-be was at full-ease while he soaked in every ounce of the Daughter that he could keep in his eyes.

"Tomorrow should be fun. Being in the woods is one of my favorite things ever. Reminds me of playing with sticks and pretending to hunt down monsters when I was younger. Dad and Mom would pretend to be beasts and such." Christoval laughed, shaking his head and finishing his mug. "Like I said, I'll do my best to rein Wisp in if needed, provided you make sure to try and keep Arabella from provoking her too much. And then we can explain anything needed to the healer." Christoval swirled his finger gingerly across the rim of his mug and sniffled for a moment, shrugging his shoulders. "We've got three. I don't mean to belittle you both, but Wisp is...Well, she's pretty good too. If a bit scary when she has to get really serious." Christoval said with a small shudder, his face going blank and pale.

Color returned, however, and the young man looked towards her and offered a small smile. "I'm glad you don't think I'm stupid. I got a lot of people telling me that. I guess people don't have a lot of faith in my choice of future. Times change and all, but I am not gonna let anything stop me." Her question made him wrinkle his face, and he looked upwards a bit in thought, biting his lip for a second while he tried to surmise an answer, before huffing and sighing. "I just...I guess I just wanna belong to something big and important. Peasants. Farmers. They...We...Don't get a lot of opportunity thrown our way. My luckiest prospect before starting this was hoping some merchant's daughter thought I was cute enough to marry....You're right though. Let's head back to Wisp. Surprised she's not looking for us now. She's paranoid when I'm gone too long."
"I just want to come home," said the Astronaut.
"So come home," said Ground Control.
"So come home," said the Voice from the Stars.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort.
He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”
Death sighed. NO, he said,... THERE'S JUST ME.
Old Posted 02-04-2018, 01:02 AM Reply With Quote