View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #43  
“Endless fish? That is...amazing,” Qi'an breathed, closing her eyes and feeling the sun warm her lids. So this is what happiness is. It's been so long... She set up the float and bait, then cast her line amazed at how smooth the entire process was. She was able to skip straight to her favorite part. “This is amazing,” she added after a moment.

She was on her feet in an instant, shielding her eyes from the sun to see the catch. She, too, was grinning ear to ear and her smile stayed even as Ilan's catch got away and she shook her head, laughing, “Need a stronger hook if those are the kinds of fish you will be catching.” She sat, waiting for her own rod to bow under the weight of one of this sea's dwellers and she found herself wondering if they'd actually eat what they caught or if they would end up releasing them. “So we are going to Gunslinger? Why? If you have all of this,” Qi gestured to the entire sea about them before looking back to her companion.

“I-I like being alone with you,” she said honestly, keeping her rod firmly in one hand as she kicked off her boots to dip her feet in, “I could stay like this forever. I want to see every planet with you and fish in every sea.” her voice still bore with it the residual high from the drugs they'd taken in earlier and she was dreamy. “I already feel as though we've known each other our whole lives, but it has only been a few hours, how can this be?”

She was silent for a moment, mulling several thoughts around in her mind. “Then you haven't actually seen it,” she said with an attempt at a smile. This one was slightly less genuine; her home planet, her physical home planet was destroyed. She would be showing him through a replica – but only when she was ready. For the time being, his taking her to a very different planet was the best course of action and she knew this in her heart of hearts. “The Yingya are...terrifying. They are tall and broad, have four arms, each of them with three claws. They destroyed everything and everyone...I don't even think they were taking slaves, they were so fearsome...”

> > >

The twins found Tennan when she was done at the mechanics, both standing with the hands respectfully clasped behind their backs when Roek cleared his throat, “How ya doin' there, Tennan? I take it ye went to see our mechanic?”

Damon bowed his head, “Hope yer feelin' better than Marco. The lad's blind in one eye. Led 'im t'the barracks an' 'e didn't utter two syllables. Might not be able t'shoot now. The lizard got 'is eye that 'e shoots with...”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-05-2018, 11:18 PM Reply With Quote