View Single Post
Developer
Default   #15  
SUBJECT: Experiment Log: DWN-016
AUTHOR: Dr. Albert Wily
DATE: May 14, 20XX
FORMAT: Holovid + Telemetry with attachments

When the holovid focuses on Wood Man, the Robot Master is installing a machine on the trunk of a tree in the forest. The other trees in the area have already been equipped in this way, and wires and conduits are spreading out over the bark.

When Mega Man inevitably arrives, Wood Man narrows his eyes at the interloper. "Are you going to fight me? Are you going to destroy these trees? Each one of them is decades old, but those Metal Blades of yours could fell any of them in seconds. So tell me, hero, what does it mean to save the world?"

Mega Man's armor changes back to its normal blue scheme as he de-equips the Metal Blade with a scowl on his face. "And what are those?" He points accusingly at the machines on the trees. "Aren't you destroying the trees as well?"

"Destroying them? I'm reinforcing them! These trees would never survive the future of war ahead of them without help."

"There doesn't have to be a future of war! I want peace!"

"I want peace too, but that can never happen with a war machine like you destroying anyone that opposes you! I will grant you a swift death so that you can't continue prolonging the suffering!"

And with that, the trees themselves turn on Mega Man, launching metal-reinforced leaves down from above. Wood Man himself is protected from the attack by his Leaf Shield. Mega Man does his best to avoid the worst of it, but with so many leaves in the air he can't avoid a few cuts to his armor.

Mega Man's counterattack splashes harmlessly off of the ceramic titanium plates orbiting the Robot Master. Those plates suddenly come spinning back at him as Wood Man hurls the Leaf Shield before jumping into the air to land behind Mega Man. It's all the blue robot can do to narrowly jump over the attack, leaving him open to another salvo of leaves from the trees above.

"Lower your weapon, Mega Man! You're only bringing yourself more pain!" Wood Man raises another Leaf Shield, and Mega Man changes his weapon back to the Metal Blade. "And more to the world around you as well!"

Mega Man doesn't fall for the bait, holding his fire instead of throwing an attack that would be deflected into the trees. Instead, he stands his ground, watching the Robot Master. He's ready the next time Wood Man throws the Leaf Shield, sidestepping it, and when Wood Man jumps, Mega Man launches three Metal Blades, angled and timed so that Wood Man collides with them during the arc of his leap.

The holovid is only able to stay coherent long enough to show Wood Man crashing into the ground, splintering around the rents in his wooden armor.

SUBJECT: Re: Experiment Log: DWN-016
AUTHOR: Dr. Albert Wily
DATE: May 14, 20XX
FORMAT: Plain Text

Perhaps it was hubris of me to expect any outcome beyond this. DWN-016 is something I've wanted to build for years. I worked the design out a long time ago, and I was pleased to see how well it worked, but I suppose just because I CAN do it doesn't necessarily mean I SHOULD. Still, that's what experiments are for. I may have to revisit this design later; it might still prove useful for the right mission.

The Leaf Shield performed up to expectations. It's too bad that I didn't get to observe its interactions with the Metal Blade; that's one of the few weapons that might be able to overcome its defense. And I should have equipped DWN-016 with a secondary weapon instead of having a defensive weapon also serve offensive purposes.

There were certainly qualitative differences between DWN-016's behavior and the standard Robot Master intelligence core. It seemed to have motivations beyond those that I had given it in its mission profile. It almost seemed like it was going to persuade DLN-001 to stop fighting, which would have been a great result. I may need to set up a new experiment in that direction. Beyond that, the effect of evolving to support the exotic energy so far is subtle, though, and I will need to collect more information.

SUBJECT: National Park Overgrown With Machines?!
AUTHOR: Plum, CPS Television Network
DATE: May 15, 20XX
FORMAT: Video

"According to a briefing packet from Light Labs, this was the site of a battle between Mega Man and another Robot Master. You can see machines attached to many of the trees around here. It's unclear what they do at this time, but Light Labs has said that they will be studying them to recommend a course of action in the upcoming days.

"Aside from the machines, there's surprisingly little damage to the forest. You wouldn't know there was a fight between powerful robots here just yesterday.

"The strangest part of this story is that the Robot Master, called Wood Man, was made primarily of wood." A picture of Wood Man's wreckage appears in the corner of the screen. "It seems like a very unusual choice. Perhaps Dr. Wily was trying to show off? A robot made of wood definitely seems like it would be very hard to make.

"Whatever the truth may be, CPS News will be here to bring you more as we learn of it. This is Plum, signing off."
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-13-2017, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote