View Single Post
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawtan View Post
I enjoy Lovecraft in part. I have been going through a collection of his horror. Lovecraft tends to feel like Verne's "dry" scientific exploration adventures meet Poe's Romantic criticism explored by the horrific and insane deconstruction that stylized Romantic Gothic works.
I like dated writing styles, and the narrators sort of really give that Victor Frankenstein feel.
I admit I'm not sure what you're describing, Lawtan. I haven't read much of Verne or Poe, and "Romantic" to me refers to 19th century literature, along with some characteristic aesthetics. What deconstruction are you referring to? I usually hear that term going along with Modern or Post-Modern.

I would't really relate what I've seen of Lovecraft's narrators with Victor so far, but perhaps that because they seem less afflicted with emotion than he was. He did seem to have a fragile sort of constitution with his near fainting all the time.

Annoyingly, my Lovecraft anthology is a cheap web-made copy and is riddled with errors, so I'm not always sure whether something is archaic word choice or bad editing.
Old Posted 10-17-2015, 03:42 AM Reply With Quote