View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Anuli was no slouch when it came to figuring out someone's motives, but this boy she couldn't quite seem to figure out. His facial expressions seemed to change frequently, but the sad smile was one that she was able to recognize. She'd seen it when her mother told her she wouldn't be able to get her a present for her birthday year after year, or that she wouldn't be able to help pay for college. It was never something she faulted her for - money was hard to come by, and the current legislation certainly did little to help the poor. No, her mother was strong and did what she could for her daughter and for the most part, Anuli was happy. It was true that she had to work harder than most, but that was the way of the game when one wasn't born into money. It was a game she was willing to play - and one that she was going to win by any means necessary.

"I'm sorry, but I guess I just don't see how metaphysics has anything to do with crystals," she scratched her head. Metaphysics, at least in text books and theory, were nothing more than philosophical conjectures. "You think the crystals have something to do with this? Why don't they just get rid of them?"
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM Reply With Quote