Thread: Nonograms!
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #39  
Next feature I'm going to implement is custom boards instead of seeded ones. This is a prerequisite for what I was ORIGINALLY wanting to do when I started on this project: create a generator that can convert image files into interesting nonograms.

This is harder than it sounds. It's trivially easy with a black-and-white image, but you don't want to just convert an image to 1-bit color because that loses most of the detail in the image and probably isn't going to make an interesting pattern. You can play around with brightness and contrast filters and get a little bit better, but that's still not going to make a puzzle that's anywhere close to what a hand-crafted grid would be like.

But I've got plans. I'm not 100% sure they're all going to work, and I'm not sure I necessarily even know how to do everything I have in mind. But that's what makes being a programmer fun! I get to solve puzzles in order to make puzzles!
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM Reply With Quote