View Single Post
Developer
Default   #9  
The other day while I was packing boxes to move, I came across a fanfic I wrote when I was 12. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers self-insert. It was printed off with an ASCII art logo on the cover, with an improvised binding (stapled down the side, then a strip of paper taped over the staples -- it actually looks pretty good, and I might actually reuse that trick), and autographed.

It was obviously written by a 12-year-old (though a 12-year-old in honors English classes), but as "bad" fanfiction goes it's actually not all that bad -- part of it helps that I was working with such a campy source material, but I actually had put effort into imitating the style and episode structure, so it mostly works out... in... a pathetically dorky kind of way.

I didn't know it was a fanfic when I wrote it. Internet access wasn't exactly a common thing at that point in history (1994). To my mind at the time, it was an episode of the show that I had made up.

Somewhere out there on the Internet you can also find a Secret of Mana fanfic that I wrote in high school. It's not awful, but in this case I knew it wasn't great when I wrote it. I wasn't trying for high quality work; I was just really itching to write something and so I forced myself to start putting words down until I came up with something. I eventually found something, which is why it gets better as it goes along.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-10-2017, 10:58 AM Reply With Quote