View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Wisp hit a sore spot, and Kastivi could feel it, wincing a bit and looking down at her mentor. The events of Enorah Cathedral had been taught to her as a lesson to be learned from, a reason to control her fire, and a reason to hold back when absolutely necessary. The burning of the mountain had been an accident, the cause of said accident now stationed there indefinitely until reparations were made. She was still there. “When you can tell me what I spend my profit on, then I will see your comments as worth a merit. As far as praise goes, I am often already on my way to my next mission before I can receive any praise,” Arabella retorted, keeping her arms folded. Kastivi could check both of those off as well. A majority of her profit went straight into more supplies, better weapons for her and her trainee, and even outside teachers to train Kastivi and herself in ways other than fire. During Kastivi's own sessions with outside teachers, Arabella would take her place beside Kastivi as a theoretical equal as student, learning and training beside her. It was actually quite admirable. And she never lingered around for praise. There was always something more to be done. Always.

Arabella raised her eyebrows at the apprentice. So he did learn a thing or two after all. Kastivi would recognize this look as one of approval, though she wasn't sure that Christoval would recognize it as such. “And when you're fighting in the north, tell me how well those damp clothes work with your hypothermia. Or when you're dealing with a mage who does not rely solely on magic...Mages who rely solely on their magic, they are weak. Pray it is those you come across in your adventures.” She stopped to look up at him, “If you, or Wisp for that matter, want to join us tomorrow for training before we begin our quest, you are welcome to it. We will meet here one hour before dawn.” Kastivi, being higher in elevation, her face somewhat hidden by her height to her master sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Yes, because being overshadowed by one of my own team is something that keeps me up at night,” Arabella growled. There was always room for more training, even for herself. She would never stop bettering herself. One day, perhaps, the world could see peace.

When the halfling was done extending her invitation, she left, heading up to their room leaving Kastivi to the mercy of Wisp and Christoval. When Christoval said that he'd taken part in activities like her own trial, she couldn't help but wonder how many of them were innocent...like her. How many of them had died for simply having magic run through their veins. Had she been a mage of anything other than fire, she wondered if she'd even be alive today, if Arabella would have bothered to save her without the prospect of becoming one of the daughters. She shook away the chill and looked back at knight having said he changed his ways—however slightly—and offered something resembling a smile, “Arabella? Stern, unfun...yes. She is very strict, but I learn new things each and every day, including the days that are just strengthening like...tomorrow.” She sighed. The strengthening sessions were never fun and she found her entire body would be aching for days after. They came once a week. Regular work outs the rest of the time. After all, magic became stronger with its host, and it was important to know how to defend oneself when fire was not an option. On more and more of their journeys she was finding that fire was used only as a last resort, and even then, only very carefully.

Kastivi took that seat with a grateful nod and clasped her hands in her lap, pretending like she didn't just hear what Wisp said pertaining to her family. The ones who had saved her. “Well, I don't know about their past...but from the sounds of it, the other apprentices didn't get to do much learning,” she said, chuckling. “But,” she said looking over to the mage and then back, “It seems she has found someone worthy. Was that it, Wisp? You like him more?”
Old Posted 12-31-2017, 04:31 PM Reply With Quote