Thread: The Daily Awful
View Single Post
Double Rainbow
Default   #1599  
What happened to your wrist, Coda? :(

Today's awful;
I went to a meeting with a commercial agent today...
The actual agent wasn't there, so her assistant saw me instead.

To make a long story short, I told her that I am from Minnesota and she basically proceeded to talk to me as if I were just some ignorant farm girl hick who didn't know how the business goes in Los Angeles...

She didn't ask me how long I've been here (two years in March) and she didn't ask me if I had experience here in Los Angeles, which I have, as I've been frequently flying back and forth from my home town to LA at least 2-3x a year since I was 14... so for over ten years before I moved here.

She basically said, "Well, it's a competitive business... Sometimes you get less than 24 hours notice. I need someone who's schedule is open." I don't have a "normal" job and I expressed to her that I am able to make any audition. I've even been featured in three commercials before, I *have* experience in what she was asking. I'm not stupid. And my parents and I always had this agreement that when we moved here to LA, they would always take me to auditions so I would never have to find a ride or anything... and since I'm not in school and don't have that "normal" job, I can make any audition... even if I only have 12 hours notice.

She said I had a great look, that I had a lot of confidence which is "good", but she still thought I didn't know anything about commercial business? I'd been taking classes nearly constantly since I've moved here, I'm not at all fresh off the boat. It seemed as though she basically made up her mind about me before I even got the chance to prove my skill and knowledge... As soon as she heard "Minnesota", it seemed like she immediately thought, "Yeah. She's just an ignorant farm girl. She doesn't know how the hustle is here in Los Angeles."

I've seen at least 4 other agents, all who've said I was great, but they already had other clients who had my look, or were in my age range and "type".
Also, I have had auditions nearly daily lately and every, single, last audition I've gone on, I've been called back to. The person who recommended I see this agent said that I was definitely really talented and ready to be picked up. He says I'm one of the top actors in his class, that when I do the exercises that I am extremely talented and creative. Very rarely does he need to correct me in anything...

I dunno. I just hate it when people assume things about me based on things like my skin color, my accent, where I'm from, where I live, etc...

I just wish she would have, at least, read my resume and given me an actual chance to show my talent and skills, instead of just assuming I don't know anything because I'm from Minnesota.
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 01-16-2020, 08:31 PM Reply With Quote