View Single Post
Blue Fish
Default   #9  
What I find interesting about the topic is how it's absolutely exploded over the last couple/few years.

I was poking around the interwebs one day and happened to stumble on a site that was selling AI art, which at the time I didn't even realize that that was a thing. So it seemed really cool to me. What's more is this particular site only ever sold one piece once. So if you purchased it, no on else would ever have that piece of art. Even cooler imo. I was really blown away with the art I was seeing and I then on top if it, the idea of owning an original.

This was about maybe 2, possibly 3 years ago. Hubs I went a little nuts with it and we wound up buying 6 different pieces. Three for home and two for the office. We absolutely love them and always enjoy discussing them when people ask where we got them. They are all abstract pieces that we never get tired of looking at even to this we'll occasionally see something in them we didn't notice before or a different way part of it could be interpreted and ect.

After we bought those, I'd occasionally look at the site again just to see what else they had to offer around holidays and special occasions for a time but then it kind of just fell of my grid. Jump to now when this topic made me remember, I go back to the site. WOW.

So, first, I had trouble finding it because it used to be there were only like maybe two or three similar sites that offered AI art like this when I had first stumbled upon it (also partly I was pretty sure of the name but not 100% lol). Now though, I had to scroll a good ways down to find it because there are so many different sites offering all types of AI art and different generators and ect.

I finally found it though and even that site had changed quite a bit. There's so much more art available and you can tell the quality and styles have just exploded and improved in just that short time.

Not to mention price. I don't remember us spending more than $100.00 a piece for any of the ones we bought and they came on canvas, framed, and are at least 2' by 2'. Now however, the site looks like all works are $600.00 a piece for a 14" by 14" framed canvas. But you also get the high resolution digital file of the artwork along with a certificate of authenticity. I'm not sure if we got the digital file when we got ours (hubs was the one to actually purchase.) Also, before you could select different sized for different prices and that no longer seems to be an option.

I've only recently done a little more poking around to see what is out there now. I know the price of everything has gone up. On one hand I mean, if it was a piece I really really loved I might pay an artist that much today so I don't see why it'd be different for digital AI art either. However, at that price it doesn't seem as accessible to everyone anymore which was a large appeal at the time. So many people could have the opportunity to own something unique and original. Needless to say I'm glad that we found it and got the pieces we did before things really took off and sky rocketed.

I'm sure to if I looked around enough I could find other similar sites with cheaper prices.

At anyrate, I kind of just wanted to chime in a little on the subject.

I can see artists worry for sure. There are always ethics in question with anything honestly. However, I think really the thing that appealed to me when I first was introduced to it was just, well I mean really, how cool is it that they fed AI all of these works from amazing artists throughout history and then it's like, "Omnomnom ARRTTZZZ delicious. Oh hai. You want see something cool? Look what I can do. Here ya go." *poops out some bitch'n orignal art* that you have the opportunity to collect and with the site I was using in particular, no on else would have own that besides you. That all seems really neat to me.
Old Posted 01-18-2023, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote