View Single Post
Desolation Denizen
I've never liked NaNoWriMo. November is an extremely inconvenient time for me, possibly the worst writing month of the year with the way my school work tends to fall. I also disagree with the philosophy of the project, in that I'd rather plan something out in exacting precision and have the first "draft" be as near to complete as possible rather than push myself into getting words on the page only to be left with a (very likely) useless morass of broken character arcs, plot holes, and innumerable other issues that will crop up moving at that kind of pace.

50,000 words is also only half of a novel. I've been learning that the hard way with the collaborative novel I've been writing with my cousin for the past few years. We got to the "end" only to realize we had to go back and expand the story tremendously to take it from a novella to a novel, which is what it was conceived as.

I mean, I'm sure NaNo is fun, I guess I just... don't write for fun? I derive enjoyment from writing things I'm satisfied with or proud of. The writing process is extremely painstaking for me, I obsess over sentence structure and word choice to the point where I can get completely stalled out on a piece over a single word and never end up finishing it. I also constantly second-guess myself, so that, by the time I get halfway through something (especially something novel-sized) I end up thinking that what I've wrote is irredeemable garbage and giving up or starting over.

So, no, I don't think NaNo is for me. :P
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM Reply With Quote