View Single Post
Developer
Default Performance Boost, phase 1   #1  
The "Find Your Fortune" game was designed to be incredibly lightweight. Unlike the original Taskal War engine, it puts almost zero strain on the database by itself. I had expected its impact on server performance to be not much worse than the boat mini-game from the Toamna Festival.

Because of this, I was surprised to see a couple batches of error messages pop up in my e-mail.

I went researching the issue and found that the bottleneck was caused by the stuff that has to run on every page view -- loading your account information, checking your PM inbox for unread messages, et cetera -- so I started digging for things I could do to speed that up. I found a way to store that information for quicker access and spent some time today setting up the tools on the server to make it happen.

It seems to have made a difference; there were 25 active users on the site and I didn't hear any complaints, and everything seems to be running as smooth as it does during our most idle hours.

I'd like to get some feedback. Is it just me or is it running better for everyone?
Old Posted 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM