View Single Post
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default Rawrgh! *Throws Dead Phone*   #1  
So, here's a fun story.

I was doing laundry a couple of nights ago, and when I transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer, I heard an odd buzzing noise coming from the washer. I hit it a couple of times and messed around with it uninterestedly while I changed out the clothes, contemplating calling the apartment's maintenance guy the next day, when I saw it - my cell phone at the bottom of the washer, blank-screened and buzzing away.

I grabbed it amidst a sort of "It's-one-in-the-morning-and-I'm-too-tired-to-deal-with-this" kind of panic and immediately took out the battery and brought it to my boyfriend, who immediately referenced his long-time guide and mentor; Google. Though nine out of ten people with freshly cleaned phones said to stick the thing in rice for a few days to get the water out of it, my boyfriend took the advice of the one person who said to stick the phone in a ziplock baggie with packets of silica gel. He went one step further and put the phone baggie on top of the cable box, which is always on and always warm. This made enough sense to me at that time of the night, and I went to bed feeling fitful from not having my tiny little phone-clock on the nightstand next to me.

The next day I wake up, hopeful that my clean little phone is magically in working condition again. Lo and behold, on top of the cable box is a phone that's soaking in condensation inside of the plastic baggie. I stuck the battery in - though I didn't hold much hope for it at this point - and the phone went back to vibrating maniacally and showed me a splotchy white screen where my cute little heart wallpaper and clock should have been. Defeated, I stuck it in a box of minute rice (which I'm not even sure is the right kind of rice for the job, but I don't much care at this point), and I check the thing from time to time to see if it's made any progress, but so far it's just white-screened and buzzing. I'm thinking best case scenario, I've got myself a new $100 sex toy.

I don't get a whole lot of calls or texts from anybody, but it's always a joy for me on the rare occasions that I do - even if it's just from the local coffee place announcing deals on drinks (okay, especially then). While I'm not addicted to my phone like a lot of people, I am slightly obsessive about having it around; I'm constantly checking the time on it, or checking if I have new texts. It's driving me only slightly crazy not having it at my side, and it scares me a bit to think that I'm not in contact with anybody. I have to wait until the end of the week for a replacement phone to come in, and I'm not too sure I can survive for that long. It'll be a trial, that's for sure.

SO. Now that my super-long-epic story is over, what about everyone else? What is your relationship with your phone, and what are your tragic stories about losing it?
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM Reply With Quote