View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #29  
"I...I know," Emily murmured, bowing her head. She was seated on the edge of the bank, watching the nets beginning to do their job. When there were three or more she set to work retrieving them and cleaning them. "He always seemed to put himself last. Almost to a fault. I think that's why Yoruba trusted him. Maybe not liked him, but she respected him more than I ever thought was possible from her. She's ah...not exactly friendly to newcomers, if you haven't noticed."

The haul was decent, despite being only fish. They must have been impervious to anything that scared away the land dwelling creatures. It was enough to get them for a few days. Likely, they'd have to take the extra time to salt them and let them dry out, and it would give Yoruba extra time to prepare...whatever it is she was working on. "I don't know if my love for them is strong enough to survive off of them, but it seems I don't have a choice, huh?" Emily said with an attempt to crack a joke.

Yoruba, as expected, barely turned from her work until she got to a proper stopping spot. She was hunched over the small work bench, her hands blackened with oil, one holding some small like object steady, the other with some tool that Emily didn't know of prying into said object. When she finished with the prying, she straightened and stretched, "I won't complain. Food is food, and we'll need the sustenance. My progress has felt slow, but I have a couple of things I'll need to test out before the sun goes down. If either of these works, I'll need one or two more days to craft extra. But the supplies you gave me, Anna, seem to be doing the trick. Whatever the fuck is in Denver won't be ready for these."
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-29-2018, 05:47 PM Reply With Quote