View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
The woman did not look amused, pursing her lips at the bard and folding her arms. "You stepped into my establishment. If you'd like to be served, I would be happy to see to it that you are, given that your gold is good," her voice was thick as honey with an accent thicker than that. "I'll see to it that you have drink. If it is as you say and you're willing to pay more, I'll also see to it that the incense is put out. Wait here while I find someone you may find suitable." Now, she did move the bard's legs from her shoulders, any signs of gentleness merely superficial and she disappeared through a doorway without a door - unless strings of beads counted as that.

Moments later she re-emerged, another dark-skinned woman on her heels. This woman held in her hand a mug of something and her gaze followed the outstretched finger of the proprietor. Through the din of the other customers the words could be heard, "That's her," though after that her voice lowered. Most likely, she was saying something along the lines of a warning for a difficult customer, but soon after the latter was approaching the table with the bard.

She offered her warmest smile, setting the mug in front of the woman, "Nanika mentioned that you asked for something strong. I'm Chidi, and I'm here for you, if you'll have me."
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 05-07-2018, 12:39 AM Reply With Quote