View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #9  
The second the music stopped was the second that Chidi came to her senses, blinking back the lingering shadows from the song. Her eyes registered the broken chair first, followed by the obviously faked grimace on the bard's face. The rest of the common room followed suit, all getting quiet for a moment before a slurry of voices began to murmur. Nanika had been standing at the top of the stairs when it happened.

"Hey Nanika! Is this the type of place you're running here? I thought she was supposed to be the best!" one of the voices rose above the others. Nanika looked as though she was going to be sick. Though she wouldn't fire Chidi, she would never find a customer after this. She would have to send Chidi away. Her mind was already racing with potential hide aways for her, other places she could work where they wouldn't know her. Of course, any other place wouldn't be as grand as the capital, but she had few options left, at least, until the heat died down.

She ran down the stairs, ordered Chidi to her room (she went, head bowed) and glared venomously at the bard. "I don't know what it was that you did to her to make her do that, but I want you to leave. Here's your gold back. Now. Get. Out."
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM Reply With Quote