View Single Post
Truthwatcher
Already less than 100 pages in and I don't know how much more of this book I can read. The author plays fast and loose with not just grammar, but punctuation, and paragraph/page spacing/formatting. Like she's afraid to put more than 2-3 sentences per paragraph, there are random page breaks for no reason, she just kind of slaps chapters in wherever they fall, whether it's on a new page or the middle of a page. And the characters feel half-developed. Like, I keep having to ask "is this character 14 or 40?" and having to backtrack because suddenly something will be mentioned (like childhood nicknames) with no previous mention or display of said nicknames or character having uncharacteristic taste in music based on age, until a couple pages later we get an explanation as to why/how they were introduced to the music they like.
(Ex: Main character greets best friend, using friend's full name, suddenly we get a rambly introduction of how they decided toncall each ither by the first letter of their names as a sort of nickname even though they just displayed exactly the opposite, followed by sporadic, at best, use of mentioned nicknames.)
And a lot of the dialogue and inward thoughts are just clunky and...awkward. I literally want to take a red pen to this book and just make notes and corrections, but it's kind of a loaner so I can't.
Old Posted 09-09-2020, 11:14 AM Reply With Quote