View Single Post
Developer
I haven't played FFX or FFX-2 but I've heard they're among the better games in the series.

Of the rest of the series, FF6 is a masterpiece, FF4 is very good, and from what I hear (but I haven't played it either) FF15 is the best game in a very long time.

FF3's original incarnation isn't worth playing, but the remake on Nintendo DS is pretty solid. That remake was also rereleased on Steam.

Both FF1 and FF2 are skippable. They were revolutionary for their time but even the remakes can't make them great games by modern standards, merely good ones. FF9 is also skippable; it was a merely average game -- enjoyable enough (I liked it) but you're not missing out on much. FF8 is generally held to be reasonably good but it's also probably skippable.

FF7 is, IMO, overhyped. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but I don't think I'd call it one of the best. It really needs a remake because there's the core of a really good game in there but they were hampered by the technology of the time and the rushed development schedule toward the end.

FF5 is a mixed bag. It's my personal favorite of the series because it's definitely the most fun I've ever had with a Final Fantasy game. It's not too long and not too short. It's probably the most lighthearted of the series. The characters have lots of personality. And I love the music. So why do I say it's a mixed bag? Well, it's showing its age. It's not as polished as later games in the series, and the plot is kinda basic. It's generally a very easy game but there are a few places where the difficulty spikes because of awkward balancing issues, and some places can be tedious.

FF12 got a lot of hype when it came out and by all accounts it's probably a great game, but for some reason it just didn't get much traction in the long term. Don't know why. Haven't played it myself.

FF13 had potential to be interesting, and then Square-Enix overdid it. They built a huge world, set multiple games in it, and then ended up making basically "cutscene, battle, cutscene, battle, cutscene, battle..." while making there be too much material to really consume it all unless you're really dedicated.

FF11 and FF14 are MMORPGs. They don't count. They should have been "Final Fantasy Online" and "Final Fantasy Online II".
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-30-2019, 06:12 PM Reply With Quote