Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #117  
Ludum Dare 44: "Your life is currency"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/watt-balance/

Watt Balance

On a lonely, desolate planet, one lone rover sets out to restore power to what’s left of the world’s technological society. Only scavengers remain.

Starting on the surface, you can climb the mountains or descend into the caverns towards the core. There are seven ancient power stations, broken down and in need of repair. You can also find power cells cached in the caves of the planet. Finding these places comes at a cost: The civilization traded energy as a form of money, and opening the caches and repairing the power stations will cost you.

You have a power collector that you can use to recharge from ambient energy when you are idle. It can charge using sunlight on the surface, but as you descend into the depths of the planet this light cannot reach you. Underground, repaired power stations can fill your batteries within a certain range.

This was a ridiculously ambitious project and I definitely didn't get as much of it done as I wanted. The current version doesn't even have an ending -- you just hit full completion and it keeps going. I intend to do something about that with a post-jam build.

This is a HUGE world with a lot of exploration. I was going for a Metroid vibe and while I'm not sure I completely captured it I think I did pretty well considering I checked in the ability to heal yourself with 45 seconds left on the clock.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM Reply With Quote