View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Arabella followed Christoval's gaze, first during the threat toward Percival, then to Kastivi as the topic went to more tender grounds. She raised her eyebrows, “By people, do you mean Kas?” She chuckled, shaking her head and stood up to put a hand on his shoulder, “I'm not going to stop you. Just, don't let her fall for you only to go off and die, alright? Fight hard, but fight safe. I take it Wisp has been training you enough to know to watch the battlefield closely? To read your opponents?” She shifted her weighted feet and sighed, “I'm thinking we should probably be off. Those goblins aren't going to slay themselves, after all!”

“I fear my knowledge in demons is a bit lacking,” Arabella said tapping her chin and looking at the barbarian, “Perhaps if she is willing to speak of it in layman's terms, I might ask her about that as well.” Never one to turn down an opportunity to learn, Ara put the idea in the back of her mind for later use. She didn't want to cut her conversation short with Waltz, so it was going to have to wait. She'd have plenty of opportunity later.

Kastivi jumped, hardly expecting anyone to be in her bubble at that moment but immediately burst into a smile when she saw it was Waltz. “I ah...suppose I can't be too sure, but both of my parents looked like Southerners, at any rate. But I don't think I could ever hate the snow. It's too peaceful to hate, really. That and the heat just feels...heavy, if you know what I mean.” Kastivi blinked, wondering what it was that Deadwaltz was doing, but came to the conclusion that that was just part of who she was and it was best not to question those sorts of things. She laughed and shook her head, “But if there are no snow sharks, then his job would be too easy, wouldn't it?”

Kastivi took the weapon in her hands. It was heavier than she thought it would be, her hands dipping down when the full weight was on her. Wooden in parts, metal in parts, and smooth, it was hard to believe that if wielded properly this thing could kill people. “Like a sling? And black powder? It sounds...unusual. But it works like a sling that is much harder that you don't actually have to sling, right? If the rumors are true, anyway. It propels it out of that hole at the end?” She was so curious about the spark and where it came from, but she handed it back to Christoval in a hurry. After all, anything that required a spark in her hands was more than likely to go off. “Her skills are in other areas, so that makes sense. Your skills would be predominantly against dark mages then I suppose. They're dangerous, so I'm sure that knowledge will be useful in the future.”

“Unfortunately,” Percival said, looking up from his book and shutting it, having heard Ara just moments before, “My business is with the nearly dead, rather than the dead. Less cryptic and more moaning in some sort of agony. Once they pass that threshold though, I can't say that I know as much.” He put his book in his pack and stood, stretching. “I think we should. We've given the younglings enough time to rest.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 04-15-2018, 03:29 AM Reply With Quote