View Single Post
We're all mad here.
Default   #37  
Quote:
a trait forgotten in other iterations in favor of a zombie horde.
Never really thought much of the sight thing, but then, I don't think it showed up much in the films either. I wouldn't use "zombie horde" as a comparison, more like something of a colony. More of something is not always inferior.

As to the CG, I don't really think the had the option of using much, so it was largely practical effects, but I think it shows a good example of what someone can do with practical effects rather than computer generated stuff. There's a werewolf horror film called Dog Soldiers that makes a point of using puppetry and make-up over CGI, and it also breaks horror stereotype by having the protagonists (professional soldiers) actually fighting back, and fighting back like hell.

25. Aliens 1986

A rare example of a good sequel. In the first film there was only one alien, (emphasized by Ripley in her briefing) and this one ups the ante by adding more. It's more survival horror as the genre goes I think, since heroism isn't all that practical in this situation.

A mercenary group goes to find out what happened to a planet colony that has fallen out of contact. Things don't go well. Simple plot, really, but as with the first film, it's characters and interactions that make it memorable. Lt. Ellen Ripley really is what I consider to be an ideal "strong female character" in the sense that she is a strong character, without there being any need to draw attention to her biological sex.
Old Posted 10-28-2015, 03:38 AM Reply With Quote