View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #13  
Liam could see Miss Leona's frustration and bit back a smile, raising his eyebrows. “Already worried about me?” he asked. A smile did eventually find its way to his face, though it was restrained, close-lipped. His eyes were glinting as he shook his head, “Perhaps if you have one of your bots on hand should we encounter one, you can sick that on him. I ah, I use the pronoun 'him' lightly here. There are lady Hellsings but they are not as common. They are also more likely to show mercy on the lower profile vampires.” He himself would have been considered one of these lower profile vampires, had it not been for that mishap. But it wouldn't happen again. He wouldn't let it happen again. Not now, not with a human willing to keep him fed. He would die before he reached a starving point again. “But, it's important to remember that they technically belong to the mortal realm, just like you or any other human. They are just simply...better trained than your average human.”

With Leona's wrist attended to, Liam wiped his mouth off, looking away briefly so as not to make the situation awkward, and cleared his throat. “That should satisfy me for a while. I hope I didn't take enough to make you lightheaded. I can be more cautious next time--” he stammered, his expression changing from self-satisfaction to one of worry. “It's...probably best, that is, if we carry on with our agreement, that you stay hydrated. It makes the process easier for both parties involved.” He swallowed, attempting to assess the situation. Of course, he didn't take enough to kill her. She wouldn't be standing if that was the case, but the last thing he wanted was to cause his master even the least amount of discomfort.

“That is all very well,” he said when his master reminded him that she must sleep, and he nodded. “A tour of the house it is then. Will you be showing me to my chambers as well? I do not require much. As for my sleeping...I do not sleep. I will be available to serve whenever you should need it.” He followed her obediently, not envying the staff charged with keeping the massive halls clean. This was the second largest house he'd ever been in, and he realized that it must have cost a fortune. He was working for no one but the wealthiest it seemed. The memories of the first largest house, however, did not bear with it good memories. He hoped that it would be different here.

Liam's eyes followed Leona's hands wherever she pointed, keeping a mental note of all she repeated. It would be valuable information in the time to come and he fully intended to make use of it. Should she ask that he fetch something, he preferred to ask for as little help as possible. Following her to her room, he soaked in the atmosphere, getting a further taste as to what kind of person his master was. Booky, by the looks of it, only making her that much more likable. Liam had had to leave his own collection of books behind upon his turning and he sorely missed it. Each book was procured through a painstaking process of saving and expeditions into second hand stores, but he'd managed to make for himself a decent little library by the time he, for all intents and purposes, died. Taking his place beside her as she drafted the makeshift contract, he pulled out his own from his breast pocket. He'd made two copies, one for his own keeping, and one for his master. The latter he handed to her. “Miss Leona,” he said at length taking into account his master's seeming lack of caution, “I would feel more comfortable if you would read over the terms and conditions before you sign. If only to be certain that this is what you want to do. I understand it is quite a large decision to make.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-11-2018, 05:29 AM Reply With Quote