Thread: The Daily Awful
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #59  
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverAshwood View Post
My daily awful: I feel like I picked the wrong career path. The further I get along in my graphic design degree, the more I start to realize I'm absolutely talentless and idiotic for thinking I could ever be a designer
I went into this because I didn't think I could make money as an illustrator, which is what I really wanted, but now I can't help but think I should have gone into heating and cooling like my mother tried to force me to
If it makes you feel any better, that's how many, many artists feel at some time or another. It's a common personality trait among creative types, not a reality of your skillset. And school is an especially bad place for that feeling, because the entire point of homework is to be judged critically on your skills.

Stick with it! Maybe branch out some -- by all means, if you want to be an illustrator, make sure you keep those skills sharp. Having a graphic design degree as an illustrator tells prospective employers that not only can you make pretty pictures but you have a solid understanding of composition and visual relationships. And consider putting some focus into web design, because that's going to be a position in high demand.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-12-2018, 03:19 PM Reply With Quote