View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #45  
When Simon was finished with his affairs at the police station he moved into the freshly cleared streets, a lone silhouette gliding through the lamplight. The solitary figure reveled in the silence and the loneliness that came with the curfew. The chill night air wrapped around him like only the most affectionate lover, raising the hair on his arms as the cold seeped through the seams of his jacket. Steam billowed from the man's mouth, taking on an orange hue as he passed under the lights; stark white while in the shadows.

A steady reminder of one's own mortality.

Vampires such as Ms. Ward....they lacked the warmth needed to create a visible breath in this cold. Simon was warm, a human in a world run from the shadows by the supernatural, a human—one of the few—aware that they were weak. In that knowledge, Simon gained his strength. Further learning on their weaknesses, fears, distastes...an upperhand could be gained. Nay, “could” was the wrong word. An upperhand would be gained. Simon would be sure of that himself.

Simon arrived at his destination as the body of Miss Rosamund Quincy was being loaded into the carriage that would take her to the mortuary, a clear indicator that he had found the right place. He walked past the body without so much as casting a passing glance, shifting slightly to allow the police officer to pass who tipped his hat, “Mr. Wegg.”

“Officer Jones,” said Simon, formally.

It was not difficult to decipher which person in the room was Emily; she was still hunched over the now-empty bed that Rosamund had died in, head buried in her arms, her chest heaving with now silent sobs. Simon stood behind her, placing a hand on her shoulder. The crying ceased momentarily as the woman lifted her eyes to see who could be attempting to give her comfort. If one could call it that. Even in her sorrow, Simon could see that he was right in assuming that she may be the next target. The woman was beauty incarnate, fiery red hair, untamed, framed a narrow but not gaunt face, her lips and cheeks had a pink color no doubt a result of her incessant tears, and emerald green eyes looked up at the cold looking man.

“Emily, I presume? I am Investigator Simon Wegg. I do not suspect you, and I will have your name erased from the list of suspects. However, I do have reason to believe that you are in danger.”
Old Posted 01-19-2018, 06:46 PM Reply With Quote