View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #43  
Mr. Simon Wegg was not to be deterred. Ms. Ward was clever; he'd give her that. The answers were there painted on the wall for him, but it wasn't enough to implicate her through the church. He needed to be able to prove what he already knew as truth. He heaved his briefcase over his head, slinging it over his shoulder as he went into the police station. “I need to speak with Chief Thomas. Where is he?”

“In here, Investigator,” a gruff, tired sounding voice answered before the secretary could utter a single word. The referenced investigator now nodded his dismissal toward the secretary stepping into the room that Mr. Thomas was residing in. It was ill-lit, only a gas lamp illuminated scattered documents across the table, the figure to whom the voice belonged was hunched over said documents, fists clenched. “Tell me you have good news.”

“I need you to issue a mandatory curfew beginning now and not to be let up on until midnight,” Simon said simply, eyes coolly placed on the Chief and wondering if the man was strong enough to carry on with his mantle considering the losses the man suffered.

“I'll set my remaining men to the task right away.”

“Remaining men? What do you mean, 'remaining men'?”

“Two have been discharged to Miss Barker's residence, questioning Miss Barker herself. There was a poisoning. The timing is unfortunate, but it's another instance of murder that can't properly be overlooked, not even if your claims are to be believed, Mr. Wegg.”

Simon paused for a moment, bringing his hand up to his chin, “Barker...Barker...Barker...Wait. Does she happen to be the young woman intended to marry Mr. William Shaw?”

“The one and only. But Inspector Wegg, I fail to see how this applies to your investigations regarding my wife, Mrs. Thomas. I...I need to see her brought to justice, Inspector. I need it.”

Simon shook his head, eyes again trained on the chief, “After my investigations today, I have reason to believe that Miss Barker's safety may be in question. Tell me, Chief, how old is this Miss Barker?”

“She is...let's see here...she just turned one and twenty, I believe.”

“Twenty-one, then? A mere two years younger than Mrs. Thomas,” Simon murmured, scratching his chin. “Very well. I'll attend to protective services for Miss Barker right away. If she is the one being questioned now, pray tell—who was it that was poisoned then?”

“None other than Barker's best friend and charge, Rosamund Quincey, Mr. Wegg.”

Her charge? Simon mused to himself, Her death and Mr. Shaw's absence would leave her wide open then, wouldn't it? He stood up, “I must be going. I'll expect the curfew to be in effect within the next few minutes, if possible.”

“Very well, Inspector. I'll see to it myself if need be.”

“That's what I like to hear.”
Old Posted 01-15-2018, 10:31 PM Reply With Quote