View Single Post
Developer
in terms of my ancestry, I'm... about as white as you get. My father's side of the family has its roots in Germany, my mother's side has them in Scandinavia (mostly Sweden), and both sides have been in the United States for at least five generations. (My great-grandmother knew a little bit of Swedish from, I believe, her grandmother.)

I don't have a particularly strong association with that identity. I'm sure in part that's because it's the majority demographic so there's just not enough contrast to make it stand out over other points of identification, and in part it's because I don't really like the whole "white shame" idea but I can't really avoid it. It probably doesn't help that I'm pretty darn close to race-blind (I've described that before, no reason to repeat it here) so I don't really perceive the dividing lines in the first place.

I definitely have issues in my past with other kinds of identity, though.

I certainly have some sort of nonbinary gender identity. It took me several years to get comfortable with myself after discovering how much stress over the matter I'd been bottling up over my whole life to that point. I finally DID find a comfortable place, but heck if I know what to call it, and I do still have some lingering hang-ups that I'll probably never entirely shake. It's close enough to "male" that I find no discomfort in using that label in day-to-day use, but it's certainly not accurate.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-12-2020, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote