View Single Post
Desolation Denizen
Default   #5  
Suppressing a wince at the ache of her old wound as she arced her shoulders back into proper posture, Astra addressed the armored woman.

"There's forty-three of us, including me. We're all highly specialized, you'll find. Dannaphine here is our stealth and espionage expert, excelling in exploiting enemy weaknesses and maximizing allied strengths."

ASTRA: Diplomacy 1d20+19 = 35

It wasn't really a lie. Now sure, it might have been quite some time since she'd seen Dafie do anything useful in her professional capacity - and no, stealing single socks from Astra's dresser every few days did not count - but the commandress had complete faith in the elf woman really living up to the qualifications on her resume when the time came. Or, at least, reasonable faith.

She went on. "We also have my adjutant, Cecily, who is an academy-trained war wizard and functions as our mobile artillery operative. I'd estimate her relative value alone to at least that of two-hundred trained and equipped soldiers."

That might have been overselling the girl a bit, but Astra had spoken with her at length on the voyage on her problems focusing, and they'd seen real progress together. Some progress, for sure. Regardless, one fireball demonstration is all it would take to convince Lord Nosya of her value, surely.

"And I, of course, am our lead strategist, although my specialty lies in organizing armies and training them in simple, effective, and efficient battle tactics. I'm widely read in all the major military engagements over the last four-hundred years, so I won't be caught off-guard by anything the enemy throws at us."

Affecting an air of professional pride which she wished the company coffers and service record could back up, Astra glanced between the woman who'd spoken and Lord Nosya, awaiting good news.

LORD NOSYA: Sense Motive 1d20+12 = 27

The lord seemed to hang on her every word, not consulting either of his advisers but rather seeming to look for the answer to all his hopes in her explanations. It was certainly flattering, but daunting as well to think on the expectations she'd have to live up to. Although this was their first time meeting, Astra felt as if she knew the man from the letters they'd exchanged, and he'd struck her as nothing so much as concerned for the care of his people, which had convinced her to take this assignment at least as much as the potential profits. She might lead a mercenary company, but Astra would never send her girls off to commit war crimes no matter how good the money might be.

And hopefully Cecily wouldn't commit any accidentally...

"And we're certainly glad you made it safely," the lord replied in the ensuing silence. "I fear you're going to have your work cut out for you. The armies of Insantegyr and Adagdayne have been clashing in the Falls of Madahai to the west of the crown city for two weeks now, with no clear victor apparent. If we were to make a bid for conquest, now would be the time, at least to reclaim the old dominions of Myrshal to expand our territory in preparation for a true war."

For a moment, the lord's neutral expression blanched with sheepish humility, accompanied by a sidelong glance at his brother. "I'm afraid before we can do that, however, we'll need an army..."

"Yes, indeed," the bearded man grumbled, arms crossed over his breastplate. "Our father is a noble man, but a warrior he is not. He's left us ill-prepared for war. I've a hundred and some men in my riders, but the province has nothing else in the way of a military. We'll need to begin conscripting immediately."

"So then," Astra asked of the lord, "You'll grant me supreme command of our forces, then? I'm willing to listen to suggestions, of course, but my company works best when left to our own devices."

A counseling gaze passed between the two brothers, followed by affirming nods. "We hereby appoint you Marshal of Myrshal, Astralia de Laix, charged with the defense of all her lands. The fate of our realm lies in your hands."

She meet his eyes with a stern regard, unblinking as she told him, "You won't regret this, I promise." And then, with a second bow, once more threatening to shudder her with pain, "If I've your leave, I'll see to the disposition of my officers. Perhaps we should meet again for dinner in a few hours?"
Old Posted 07-24-2018, 05:36 PM Reply With Quote