View Single Post
Icy Footed
The Masks

The Masks is one of my guilty pleasure episodes. It's a fun exercise in clever dialogue as well as nasty pettiness that I reserve only for my most apparent and satisfying fantasies. >B] This episode takes place during the Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and I found it really fitting for the Masks to take place as the main prop of the episode. It could have been a Halloween or All Hallows Eve celebration, but I think, in having it during the Mardi Gras, a time of infamous festivities, naughtiness and gluttony, it goes VERY well with the theme...which is the exaggerated and egregious qualities of the family in the episode.

This is a creepy sort of revenge tale with an interestingly creative twist to it. I would argue this is one of the more shocking Twilight Zone episodes that people tend to remember simply for the masks featured alone. The faces, twisted into the exaggerated and ugly expressions are indeed really easy to remember. 0-0
It's interesting that most people tend to forget that the power behind the masks is subtly explained by the old man, Jason. It's important to recall the details in his explanation and remember that the masks are more than they seem on the surface. Spookily enough, it was the actor who played Jason, (Robert Keith)'s final role before passing away...and he played the role of a dying man in the episode. e_e; But on a more interesting note, he also would star in a couple of episodes from Alfred Hitchcock presents. :)

Again, I won't give away the ending, though it's easy to see from the picture alone that the premise will involve faces and unmasking. I will say the ending is one of my favorites in the Twilight Zone that touches on the reality of death itself and the state of being of those who live having ugliness just beneath the beauty of their faces.

Season 5. Episode 25. The Masks. Some scares in here mostly have to do with the twist, though the make up is a bit dated and subtle so there isn't much to be too shocked about. :T It's mostly the music cues that clue you into being frightened. Other than that, what you see you can take at face value. /B} Just remember, take comfort in knowing that this is an episode of pure fiction this time. Take a look if you like, this is one that's sure to help you save face. x}

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 10-23-2020, 01:44 AM Reply With Quote