View Single Post
Developer
Default   #2841  
Autism and ADHD have a pretty significant overlap in symptoms. My wife and I thought our son might be autistic, but as he's gotten older it's gotten easier to tell the difference -- it's severe early-onset ADHD that resulted in developmental delays. He's not showing the flattened emotional response that characterizes autism and as he's gotten older he's picked up the emotional perception abilities you would expect to see in typical development; they're just delayed. Having grown up with ADHD myself I get how to work with him on that, but it's really hard seeing a 12-year-old with obvious signs of depression, too...

As far as reading speed is concerned, the average reading speed for adults is 200-250 words per minute. College students usually score better than that, interestingly; 300wpm isn't unusual at all. It's believed to be because they get so much practice at it. So unless you feel like everyone else is always really dragging when reading stuff that you find easy, your reading speed is probably in the 200-300wpm range.

For me, I think the big thing is that -- through whatever mechanism that I don't really understand -- my reading is decoupled from speech, which is very much not normal. Most people can't read much faster than they could theoretically talk if they didn't have to worry about tripping over their tongue, and from what I've heard an EEG will actually pick up the neurons in your mouth and throat firing when you read in the same patterns that they fire in when you speak. I've never had this evaluated in me, but I DON'T subvocalize when I read (I don't imagine hearing the words in my head). I imagine this allows the concepts to skip a step and go straight into processing. I have no idea how that works.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM Reply With Quote