Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #109  
Ludum Dare 43: "Sacrifices must be made"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/43/golden-lord/

Golden Lord

Praise the Golden Lord! Your people have lived on an island rich in gold and silver for generations, and they love you greatly. But now, monsters are invading the island! You have stepped down from heaven to protect your worshipers from the invaders, but your divine power depends on the sacrifices of precious metal that your people offer up to your altar.

I’d always intended to go back to my first jam game to try to improve on it after the initial weekend, but I never really took the time to do it. But as I was brainstorming for ideas for this theme, I realized I could adapt the ideas of that game and use them for this jam, so this is a reimagining of Bobble Battle, built from the ground up from all-new code and graphics.

This is the first time I’ve taken it upon myself to create all of the assets for a game jam by myself. Before I started working on the graphics Saturday morning I didn’t even know I had any skill in creating sprites from scratch.

While I did create the sound effects, I took them from a library of assets that I created in the past, so they aren’t eligible for scoring in the jam.

The underlying HTML5 game development toolkit is also of my own construction. I didn’t build it during the jam, but it doesn’t provide anything that you wouldn’t get from Unity3D, GameMaker: Studio, or any other development environment. All of the game logic, AI, physics, controls, and interface were built during the jam. I’ll be releasing the tools open-source for other developers to use once I’ve finished filling in some missing pieces.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM Reply With Quote