Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Ludum Dare 42: "Running out of space"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/...ng-infestation

Swirling Infestation
Fight back against the curse that is spiraling into the town! It is a dark magic, contagious, spreading to other victims with no more than a touch.

You are the town's only hope, a sorceress with the power to drive off the curse.

You have three powers available to you:
* Pulse: A forceful burst that can push the curse out of its victims, leaving the physical world untouched. (Costs 1 wheel)
* Radar: Reach out to find the souls of the afflicted. (Drains energy when active)
* Teleport: An emergency escape. You have no control over the destination, but the curse can't follow you. (Costs 2 wheels)

Be cautious! You are strong enough to resist the curse, but you are not immune to it. While you are cursed, you still have access to all of your powers, but the strain of fighting its influence will quickly drain your vitality. Pulse will expel the curse from your body as easily as from the townspeople, and Teleport will leave the curse behind.

Once cast out of the body, the curse loses its virulence, but its frustrated power becomes an impassible maelstrom. Be wary of where you purge the curse, as the maelstrom will slowly grow, blocking you off and leaving you running out of space.

[hr]

I'm super proud of this one! I ended up doing this one all by myself because the partner I usually work with was on vacation this weekend and the person that volunteered to participate in his stead ended up doing absolutely nothing. I don't think the sprite work is particularly good, and the sound effects were thrown together in the last hour so they're not up to my usual level of polish... But I really like how the visual effects came out! Pulse pushing the curse out and it flaring up angrily is an awesome series of effects.

But the thing I'm most proud of is that this is in fact a complete game. It has an actual ending, unlike any of my previous Ludum Dare games (with the exception of Dungeons of Indianapolis). It's kind of a LAME ending because I didn't have time to put together anything special, and I wanted there to be a boss fight with interesting mechanics but I REALLY didn't have time for that. And you have options! Not just a single mechanic that you use for everything, but three distinct spells with different uses.

The logo was hacked together in five minutes. I saved it into the project right as the "time's up" tweet showed up. It's not embarrassing but it's really generic.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM Reply With Quote