Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #97  
Ludum Dare 41: "Combine 2 incompatible genres"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/...f-indianapolis

The Dungeons of Indianapolis
The smell of exhaust! The roar of the engines! The thrill of the race! You won’t get any of these as you dive into…

The Dungeons of Indianapolis!

Enjoy competing for the best time to complete all 200 laps of the legendary Indianapolis 500, now in the style of classic text adventures like Zork or the Colossal Cave Adventure.

This was not the game I set out to write. The game I set out to write was, in fact, a racing / roguelike mashup instead of a racing / text adventure mashup. But between having unexpected technical difficulties trying to manipulate meshes in Unity and getting called into work on what was supposed to be a vacation day, I had to abandon that game. (I might pick it up again later; I think it was a solid concept.) This was a crushing blow, as it would have been the first time I failed to complete a Ludum Dare game since I started participating in LD36.

But then I had THIS hilarious idea.

I wrote this in the three hours between getting out of the office and the submission deadline. It’s not going to win any award for best game (although it might potentially win one for fastest time from conception to completed implementation) but I think the joke is solid enough to score well in the humor category.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM Reply With Quote