View Single Post
We're all mad here.
Default   #5  
4. Conan the Barbarian - 1982

New one is okay I suppose, but I still prefer this one. For those interested in fantasy-esque adventure movies I have to recommend this one, even if you don't know a thing about Conan. (I certainly didn't the first time I watched this, and I don't know all that much about him now).

Okay, so it's not exactly profound, or meaningful, but for what it is I think it's an honestly well made movie. The score is great, one of the few soundtracks I own and listened to on a regular basis before I lost it >.< and much of the film has a rather understated feel to it as opposed to the typical grand heroic story with moments of withering sorrow and epic triumph.

The plot is nothing exceptional, really. A rise from the ashes revenge story. Conan's family and people are slaughtered by the villain and he is sold as a slave, and it goes from there. He meets people, does things, all the while seeking revenge. What I think makes this film stand out to me are the small details here and there. The fact that the rogue-type character isn't an oaf after gold and treasure (in the second film on the other hand...let's not go there), Conan and Valeria don't make silly goo-goo eyes at each other or stumble around being oh-so-not-in-love-really-we-mean-it or snapping at each other in an effort to build sexual tension, the moments of conversation and observations that develop character, and the fact that there is no blatant attempt at comic relief (well, Mako, possibly, but he's useful and does stuff). Some of it is a little over the top, but for the most part the action is believable and practical, minus giant snakes and people with big hammers toppling pillars over.

One thing that another fan mentioned to me that I also like about the story is that Conan's not making an obvious attempt to be a hero. He's out for his own gain, to his own ends, and when all is said and done he is left with the choice of whether or not to take that extra step beyond his own endeavors and become a hero.

Conan changes throughout the story, and even the villain isn't the same in the end as he was in the beginning. A lot of time has passed and it shows.

Okay, that's done with. I will get to something serious at some point, really.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 01-30-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old Posted 01-30-2014, 01:47 AM Reply With Quote